Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sarah's Strange Walmart Experience

I wish people would just keep their mouths shut. I run into someone
    a couple times a month who's so uncomfortable with the sight of me
    in my chair that they have to say something. Never any Jesus shit
    though.

I was in the mall the other day and a lady came up to me..took my hand and asked me my name. I proceeded to tell her and then she said "Would you like me to pray for you?" I said uh no I am doing just fine thank you..

Kind of offended me to say the least...I just kept thinking to myself do I look that bad? I am a nationally ranked water skiier, hand cycling, volunteer, have a job.... and she wants to pray for me??
    T-7 Complete
    "If you don't like something, change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it."

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    I have had those kinds of encounters all my life. The most hilarious one was in Toronto, Canada when my wife and I were eating lunch in a park near our hotel. A drunk came staggering up to us, made the sign of the cross, and mumbled, "when I see someone like you, I thank God I am only an alcoholic." A Mountie trotted over on his horse and hustled the guy off. After 56 years post injury, I still have people praying that I will be able to walk again. Sarah needs to develop a thick skin. She should be prepared to get some offers of money.
    i once was given $5 while shopping at wegmans by some dude who said i "gave him hope"
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

What happens in Wal-Mart, stays in Wal-Mart...or at least it should do.

I had a nice experience that was similar once. It was a young mother and her two kids. She came up to me and Sam, and said her two little kids had asked her what had happened to me, so she wondered if it would be too rude to inquire. After I told them about the accident she asked if it would be ok for us all to say a little prayer with the kids; so we did. It was nice, honestly.....the prayer was to thank God for all the good things we all have, and to help make life a bit easier for me....it was nice.

Ah, and sometimes in the end i get something like this :" i cant tell what will happen to me tomorrow but if i´ll have to be on a wheelchair, i´d rather die".

Tell me, could a complimment ever be sweeter than this???

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    i once was given $5 while shopping at wegmans by some dude who said i "gave him hope"
    Did you keep it? Once on a Starbucks patio some guy set a $10 on the table and said "God Bless" before walking away. I was going to point out to him if I could afford Starbucks I probably wasn't destitute. Under other circumstances I would have insisted he take it back. But I figured it probably gave him a shot of self esteem to feel like he was helping me. So I used the $10 to get another round of lattes.
    Last edited by orangejello; 12-14-2010 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah's Mom View Post
    Has anyone ever had a bizzare experience like this one?

Last weekend, Sarah and a friend were shopping at one of the local Walmart stores here in Columbus Ohio.

Sarah said that they past a woman (for the first time) and she looked at Sarah sitting in her wheelchair and said "God bless you". Sarah responded back to her "same to you". A little while later, they past her again. This time she was quietly chanting something about Sarah but the girls kept going - Sarah was a little uncomfortable this time. The third time that they past her, Sarah said this woman was jumping, dancing, chanting, and praying for Sarah in the middle of the aisle. She kept telling Sarah that she was going to walk again and she would be healed some day. Sarah was a bit embarrassed to say the least, but did not know what to say. The only words that could come out of her mouth was....WHAT THE HELL?

My first question to Sarah was....which Walmart were you in?

Just wanted to share this with all of you.....
    This is only funny if it didn't affect Sarah too much. There are so many weirdo's out there, and my experience over the years has been that being in a wheelchair is like a magnet to them. Then, of course, it is also the holiday season, so the weirdness gets turned up to an even louder volume. I hope Sarah can just laugh it off and realize her disability is probably a lot less than the woman who was chanting!

I was visiting a park in Washington D.C. once when someone came up to me and asked if they could anoint me with oil and pray over me.

You know, sometimes I'll let them do their thing if it doesn't inconvenience me; I believe compassion must be exercised to take root. (Although I don't suppose many people understand that it's really my compassion for them that informs my decision.) But I wasn't about to tour D.C. covered in oil!

Quote Originally Posted by orangejello View Post
    Did you keep it? Once on a Starbucks patio some guy set a $10 on the table and said "God Bless" before walking away. I was going to point out to him if I could afford Starbucks I probably wasn't destitute. Under other circumstances I would have insisted he take it back. But I figured it probably gave him a shot of self esteem to feel like he was helping me. So I used the $10 to get another round of lattes.
    i did! lol used it for laundry money but it was a wtf moment for sure
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    I have had those kinds of encounters all my life. The most hilarious one was in Toronto, Canada when my wife and I were eating lunch in a park near our hotel. A drunk came staggering up to us, made the sign of the cross, and mumbled, "when I see someone like you, I thank God I am only an alcoholic." A Mountie trotted over on his horse and hustled the guy off. After 56 years post injury, I still have people praying that I will be able to walk again. Sarah needs to develop a thick skin. She should be prepared to get some offers of money.
    Thick skin, really is the key to dealing with other people (even family members). You have to be careful not to let your guard down too much either. The Wal-mart example deals with a stranger, which in my opinion is one of the easier situations to deal with. Although, if it happens too much the cummulative effect does eventually get to me a little.

I usually struggle with things said in situations where I am in a familar place among people that know me somewhat (church, work, Christmas parties, ...). People say and do all kinds of crap that's just strange! I guess it just goes with the territory.