Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Peristeen status in U.S.?

to get peristeen in Australia

Hi,

I currently get all my supplies from Australia Nursing supplies. I live in NY and it takes 6-10 days including holidays.
    They are very helpful. I would start with the kit and at least 10 extra catheters, as only 2 come in the kit, and your only suppossed to use it once. However some folks, myself included, disinfect the catheters, wash off the disinfectant with mild soap and water and reuse.

They were supposed to start offering Peristeen in the US Feb. 2012, but there have been probleems with the balloons on the catheters (annoying, but harmless)

I was in touch with the US rep for Coloplast in January, but he has not returned my recent in quiries. Hope this helps.
    Also, if the Australia site says do not serve your region, just drop an email to them and they will get back to you, as that is website problem, they do serve the US

I see you are online, go to page 8, I left a long answer!

Thanks for the information!

Let me know how it goes, and I will try to keep the board updated re: US Status

anymore news on this?

some news on Peristeen

Just received my catheter order from Australia. The catheters have been redesigned and I understand from Coloplast in the U.S. that they would not launch Peristeen here until the redesign had been done. Now this is a guess: they will ascertain the response to the new catheters (abroad) if they are better, perhaps we will see Peristeen here by late summer!

Sorry I don't have more precise information.

Quote Originally Posted by lady in distress View Post
    Just received my catheter order from Australia. The catheters have been redesigned and I understand from Coloplast in the U.S. that they would not launch Peristeen here until the redesign had been done. Now this is a guess: they will ascertain the response to the new catheters (abroad) if they are better, perhaps we will see Peristeen here by late summer!

Sorry I don't have more precise information.
    Do you see a difference in the redesigned catheters? I wonder what has been done, if anything, to make them less prone to rupturing. Maybe they're now using a heavier grade of latex for the balloon.

the new catheters are shorter, do not bend as easily and fit on the connector with more security

I am not sure about the grade of latex, at $17 per catheter, I try to reuse! Have not done so yet, (with the new catheter) but I will let the board know my findings.

Quote Originally Posted by lady in distress View Post
    the new catheters are shorter, do not bend as easily and fit on the connector with more security

I am not sure about the grade of latex, at $17 per catheter, I try to reuse! Have not done so yet, (with the new catheter) but I will let the board know my findings.
    I didn't have an issue with the length of the catheter, but maybe that's due to my complete lack of sensation.

I've abandoned using the Peristeen principally due to its high cost and the frequent need to replace parts. I now use easily obtained enema supplies, which essentially accomplishes the same thing: filling the lower colon with water and triggering peristalsis. The enema supply companies offer insertion tubes with inflatable cuffs, though I doubt they're any more reliable than the one that comes with the Peristeen. I've opted for a long silicone hose that I insert fairly high up -- MUCH further than the length of the Peristeen rectal catheter. Some water leaks out as it's being pumped in, but enough remains to get results.

I'd be happy to use the Peristeen if it were as affordable as my current set up, and even more so if it was an insurance covered expense, which, hopefully, it will be at some point.

Accessible transportation in Baltimore

Accessible transportation in Baltimore
    Is anybody familiar with with or have knowledge of the Maryland Transit System for people with disabilities? Try www.SmokeForCheap.com I will be visiting Baltimore in June and could use some assistance. If you can assist me please write responses here.