Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Peristeen status in U.S.?

new at this, on 12-21-2011 sci- nurse posted he/she was meeting with peristeen folks, can't find that post today and would like to know outcome, thank you
    Last edited by lady in distress; 12-22-2011 at 11:35 AM. Reason: spelling error

Apparently the delay has been in designing a new catheter that is less likely to be inserted too deeply, and with an improved (less likely to pop) balloon. Because of the change, and the new materials in it, it had to go back through FDA approval. They also have just this last week secured a distribution dealer, and are working on another. They are still working on getting insurance coding and things like VA contract pricing. They told me they are hoping to start advertising after the first of the year, with a hope to roll out with sales in February or March 2012.

(KLD)

Thank you for your information

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Apparently the delay has been in designing a new catheter that is less likely to be inserted too deeply, and with an improved (less likely to pop) balloon. Because of the change, and the new materials in it, it had to go back through FDA approval. They also have just this last week secured a distribution dealer, and are working on another. They are still working on getting insurance coding and things like VA contract pricing. They told me they are hoping to start advertising after the first of the year, with a hope to roll out with sales in February or March 2012.

(KLD)
    I would suggest a kevlar balloon . The length of the rectal catheter was not a problem for me, but that's because I have no sensation. Back before time I could barely tolerate a rectal thermometer. The sight of a rectal probe would have had me running for the hills.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    In its place, I am now using more generic enema equipment (see below), which I order from the optimal health network ... This is what I ordered ....
    Thanks stephen212. I ordered using your list yesterday.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by gac3rd View Post
    Thanks stephen212. I ordered using your list yesterday.
    Good luck with it. The tubing lengths are long enough to extend from one end of your home to the other, so you'll need to do some trimming.

First day of use with the enema set up from optimal health network. Used all 2500 ml of warm tap water. It seemed to come out almost as fast as it went in, usually after the second squeeze on the pump. To my surprise, the bowl water was clear when it was over. A small amount of stool came out digitally after withdraw of the tubing. Still felt bloated, which I was hoping this would address.

Perhaps the tube was not in far enough?

Then my Christmas day gift to myself kept on giving. Accident after lunch. Then after dinner. Both times small amounts of very smelly liquid and a small amount of stool. Stool and a bit of liquid before bed. All stool was soft and well formed. No diarrhea beyond the small amount of smelly liquid.

Today, there was a normal digital stimulated well formed soft movement after breakfast. Less hassle than usual. No more number 2 problems today, but I have a sense of a UTI starting. Did not realize how far the smelly liquid had spread around yesterday and what a poor job I had done cleaning until the end of the day. I conjecture that was the cause. So my usual d-mannose routine is now underway and seems to be working.

Not a complete success story so far, and my wife is questioning my sanity.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by gac3rd View Post
    First day of use with the enema set up from optimal health network. Used all 2500 ml of warm tap water. It seemed to come out almost as fast as it went in, usually after the second squeeze on the pump. To my surprise, the bowl water was clear when it was over. A small amount of stool came out digitally after withdraw of the tubing. Still felt bloated, which I was hoping this would address.

Perhaps the tube was not in far enough?

Then my Christmas day gift to myself kept on giving. Accident after lunch. Then after dinner. Both times small amounts of very smelly liquid and a small amount of stool. Stool and a bit of liquid before bed. All stool was soft and well formed. No diarrhea beyond the small amount of smelly liquid.

Today, there was a normal digital stimulated well formed soft movement after breakfast. Less hassle than usual. No more number 2 problems today, but I have a sense of a UTI starting. Did not realize how far the smelly liquid had spread around yesterday and what a poor job I had done cleaning until the end of the day. I conjecture that was the cause. So my usual d-mannose routine is now underway and seems to be working.

Not a complete success story so far, and my wife is questioning my sanity.
    Beyond each person's individual physiology there is a bit of technique involved when adapting to a new regimen, also unique to each individual. As a result, I can't offer advice on how far you should insert the enema tubing. I'm using about 2/3 of the length and as I'm filling my colon with my right hand I'm manipulating the hose with the other (at the "point of entry") to minimize leakage.

After emptying the entire 2.5 quarts of water, I begin digital stimulation inserting my index finger as far as it goes and stretching/relaxing the internal sphincter, which triggers peristalsis. I also very firmly massage my abdomen to help move things along.

Bowel accidents are an extremely rare occurrence for me. However, I did have two episodes after starting with the enema setup, but that's because I experimented filling my bowel a second time during one session and residual water, which triggered an involuntary many hours later.

To make sure that you don't have any residual water remaining in your bowel, you can insert a used urinary catheter to drain yourself.

In the end this will all require experimentation and patience, which I'm sure you have plenty of after all these years. For me this is the best routine I've had in almost 30 years, if that's any inspiration. And if psyillium isn't part of your dietary regimen, I highly recommend that as well.

Thanks stephen212. Not discouraged in the least. Just have to wait for a quiet day. Preferably when no one else is home.

Peristeen

The husband and I are looking into Peristeen for him (buying through Australia, as we live in the US...unless there is any news of this comine to the US?). For those of you who use this, what would you recommend buying in the first shipment, in addition, of course, to the basic set. More catheters? Tubes? I'm a little unsure of how quickly we will go through supplies with this.