Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Peristeen status in U.S.?

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    So I have to buy the entire system again to get another water bag. This looks to me like the weak link in the system.

Some company should make a similar one and sell them individually.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

But you are getting a new bag everytime you buy new caths. And a bag you can have for months.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Yes, you can buy only catheters, or catheters with a bag:

http://www.ahns.com.au/index.php?mai...oducts_id=1504

But no bag only that I can see, the bag is sturdier than it looks though.
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

But only one time in years I have had an accident with the bag. And that was in US when I couldn't find a new one. And you can use the same cath for days.

I don't know the prize, but I guess it is expensive, I get it for free because I am in a study, too. It is not free equipment in Norway yet, but it is possible to buy it but I guess it is cheaper in UK
    TH 12, 43 years post

Any update on Peristeen U.S. status?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse, Dec. 14, 2010 View Post
    Had a meeting with the team from Coloplast a couple of weeks ago to discuss evaluation of the system for use at our center. While it has been FDA approved, they are still developing their marketing and distribution plan and it will be sometime next spring before it is commercially available in the USA. They are currently traveling around the country meeting with key clinicians at major SCI centers. Stay tuned.

(KLD)

They are starting their institutional roll-out (big workshop in Chicago last week), but my sources tell me that while they do have FDA approval, so far they have no insurance company coverage so are not actively marketing for individual/home use. I have a meeting with them in early December and will try to get more information as and post here as soon as I can.

(KLD)

Any news??
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

I am meeting with the company reps on Wednesday next week (12/21/11). Hope to have some news then.

(KLD)

I used the Peristeen briefly and had good results with it. But beware the hype -- it's not a miracle treatment. Rather, it's a glorified enema. I would have stuck with it but it's price-prohibitive, and with shrinking insurance benefits and the frequent need to replace products components, which fail quickly, it's not a home run.

In its place, I am now using more generic enema equipment (see below), which I order from the optimalhealthnetwork.com.

Note: I insert the silicone tube ~15"-20". Some water escapes during filling. After I withdraw the tube I dig-stim and empty very completely and as quickly as I did with the Peristeen.

As or more important than the equipment or meds involved in your BP is the food you stuffed in your mouth in the day(s) leading up to it, and my processed food intake is kept to a bare minimum. There's no escaping eating a healthy, plant-based diet. Meat and dairy are not your friends (I eat some, but very little).

This is what I ordered from OptimalHealthNetwork, if it's of interest to anyone:

Code Item Qty Price Total
    409 Silicone Smooth Flow "Higginson" Syringe and Hose Colon Cleansing System (0.4 lbs)
    1 $39.99 $39.99
    203 2.5 Quart Clear Enema Bag Kit (0.4 lbs)
    1 $15.49 $15.49
    ^ 3002-DL Colonic Health With In-Home Enemas Booklet Download
    1 $0.00 $0.00
    668 Silicone Colon Tube - Closed End - 32Fr - 30 inch (0.2 lbs)
    1 $21.99 $21.99
    415 Enema Flow Valves For Smooth Flow "Higginson" Syringe (0.1 lbs)
    1 $5.25 $5.25

Sub Total: $82.72
    Tax: $0.00
    Shipping: $11.40
    Grand Total: $94.12

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I used the Peristeen briefly and had good results with it. But beware the hype -- it's not a miracle treatment. Rather, it's a glorified enema. I would have stuck with it but it's price-prohibitive, and with shrinking insurance benefits and the frequent need to replace products components, which fail quickly, it's not a home run.

In its place, I am now using more generic enema equipment (see below), which I order from the optimalhealthnetwork.com.

Note: I insert the silicone tube ~15"-20". Some water escapes during filling. After I withdraw the tube I dig-stim and empty very completely and as quickly as I did with the Peristeen.

As or more important than the equipment or meds involved in your BP is the food you stuffed in your mouth in the day(s) leading up to it, and my processed food intake is kept to a bare minimum. There's no escaping eating a healthy, plant-based diet. Meat and dairy are not your friends (I eat some, but very little).

This is what I ordered from OptimalHealthNetwork, if it's of interest to anyone:
    Code Item Qty Price Total
    409 Silicone Smooth Flow "Higginson" Syringe and Hose Colon Cleansing System (0.4 lbs)
    1 $39.99 $39.99
    203 2.5 Quart Clear Enema Bag Kit (0.4 lbs)
    1 $15.49 $15.49
    ^ 3002-DL Colonic Health With In-Home Enemas Booklet Download
    1 $0.00 $0.00
    668 Silicone Colon Tube - Closed End - 32Fr - 30 inch (0.2 lbs)
    1 $21.99 $21.99
    415 Enema Flow Valves For Smooth Flow "Higginson" Syringe (0.1 lbs)
    1 $5.25 $5.25

Sub Total: $82.72
    Tax: $0.00
    Shipping: $11.40
    Grand Total: $94.12

how often do you reorder?
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan