Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Peristeen status in U.S.?

I go every other evening but sometimes I go the morning after that again. So say Monday night I go, I like to go Wednesday night but sometimes I go about 2pm Thursday. You can always check with your finger if anything's getting close to popping out! With disinfecting just make sure all chemicals are washed off as it can't be good to have disinfectant in your ring!

There are some people that got every 3rd day, depends on your body as well. I don't take any laxatives or use anything else like that.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    It can't hurt, but why is it necessary to disinfect something that you're sticking up your ass, which is already an e.coli wonderland? At most the catheter has the same organisms found there in the first instance?
    Don't worry, no big disinfection here, just washing with a disinfecting soap I have but just regular soap would do.
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Just curious, in what way other than the inflating bubble, does the Peristeen differentiate from a regular water enema kit? What exactly would make this work better?
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Quote Originally Posted by paramoto View Post
    Just curious, in what way other than the inflating bubble, does the Peristeen differentiate from a regular water enema kit? What exactly would make this work better?
    Same principle in fact, no magic there. You can even get a catheter with a balloon (inflating bubble) to use with enema kits, pumps and tubing online for much less, I tried them.

Why the Peristeen is interesting, it's because they managed to make the thing very user friendly. Believe me, it's very easy to use, store and clean which is not necessarily the case with the alternatives where the tubing tends to kink, water can flow back up in the tube etc.

The Peristeen also looks better! So you can really show it off to friends/family, I can't stop talking about it at work ... just kidding obviously

Unfortunately, the business model chosen is not advantageous to us, where it's an FDA approved gizmo with all the representation fees to the medical community, insurances .... at the end a ridiculous price just to take a dump. But I like it.

BTW, the balloon on the 1st catheter popped yesterday at the approximate 45th day.

Quote Originally Posted by xsfxsf View Post
    Any update on the Peristeen status in the United States?
    I called the "800" no. at Coloplast customer service. They told me it WAS available NOW, and gave me the names of several medical suppliers in my state. When I called the one I use, they didn't know about it & said Medicare would not reimburse for something that was not in their inventory.

Yes - Peristeen is available

I've responded to a couple of posts on the Peristeen now, so please don't think I'm spamming Moderator. This is just such a life changer, I can't help but want to share it with the rest of the SCI community. My GI gave me a script for it, and I've got my general MD endorsing it as well. I ordered and received my system through an Australian medical supply house. Trust me people, for a guy who had become a porcelain slave, this has been a real God send. It's certainly expensive if used as recommended, but you can extend product life w/o any adverse affects. If you would like any of the specifics, just let me know.

Best Regards,

Steve

^^
    What Sojurner said.
    Last edited by JGNI; 01-23-2011 at 09:01 PM.

NOTE! I was, apparently, misinformed by a Rep. at Coloplast last week. Yesterday I called again & they said that Peristeen was NOT available here yet, & I should call them on Feb. 14, 2011. That was the date they are giving for new info on the system. Sorry.

Cant find 800 number. Anyone want to share it with me???