Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: d's locks

d's locks

Will d's locks transfer from a Ti Zra w/Spinergy LX to the same chair w/Spox

Quote Originally Posted by johnc1 View Post
    Will d's locks transfer from a Ti Zra w/Spinergy LX to the same chair w/Spox
    Sorry, no. The Spox and LX wheels have different spoke counts.

I don't quite understand how they install. Can I do it myself? Do I need loctite and other assorted bullshit? Is there a video of the installation process?

Terminator with spinergy spox

You may be able to just buy the new locking rings for the Spox hubs. Loctite is indicated on the install instructions but I bet most ppl don't bother and are fine.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Maybe the installation instructions are so simple I cannot see them. They don't post the documentation on their site.

Does each side had its own lock or does a single switch control both?

Should I send my wheels and camber tube to San Diego to get it installed or is that overkill?

Quote Originally Posted by radio_buddha View Post
    Maybe the installation instructions are so simple I cannot see them. They don't post the documentation on their site.

Does each side had its own lock or does a single switch control both?

Should I send my wheels and camber tube to San Diego to get it installed or is that overkill?
    Though I'm sure a dual-lever system could be built, all of the locking hub systems I've seen (D's; Surelock) have a single lever that engages/locks both hubs simultaneously.

You should not need to ship your wheels. Installation is straightforward, but screwdriver dexterity is required.

I'm partial to Surelock as I think they use better quality materials. AND if they could make a camber clamp that replaces your original, one which has the mounting for the piston integrated into it, then you've got the most elegant choice. The alternative is to add on componentry, which sacrifices weight and the OEM look.

From my ZR1. Original TiLite camber clamp (black), Surelock recreation w/integrated mount (chrome).

Surelock components are now available in black.

Thanks, Stephen. An integrated clamp would definitely work nicely.

As I understand it, these locks also have a bounce in them. They rock back and forth like ADI's disc brakes.

How bad is it? It was a 3 inch range on my old disk brakes which drove me crazy.

It was suggested that I needed hydraulic locking.

I don't see how that would work here so the rocking has to be truly insignificant. Less than an inch.

My other option would be to put my push to locks on the lower tube of my terminator for when I need absolutely no sway.

In some other threads, I saw stuff about random locking on bumps… Have you had this happen? I know manhattan gives you many opportunities to have that kind of event.

Thankfully, I've never had a random locking experience. That wouldn't be good.

Surelock's hubs have 27 position stops; D's has 24. The more the better.

Top End's axle receiver makes it very easy to dial the most secure fit between the piston and the hub disc, so rocking should really not play into your purchasing consideration. The "rocking" on my Surelock/Dino system is negligible; maybe 0.5" -- maybe.

Regardless, a locking hub system will not lock your chair as solidly as a tightly fitted scissor (or push-to) lock on a very inflated tire. Problem is they don't maintain that fit for long as it accelerates air deflation from the tire every time you engage them. And nothing beats the simplicity of locking both wheels with the flick of one finger.

I have no experience with ADI's disc brake system, so I have no opinion to offer.

You can minimize the amount of wiggle with a nice snug fit (adjustable wheel spacing really helps) and a rigid set of wheels. Spinergy wheels have the most with D's that I have used, since their spokes are much easier to flex around the hub when locked there. Bounce locking is a combination of mounting the lever to actuate with an up/down throw and the lever retention nut being too loose. They all have nylon nuts but can loosen. I've only ever adjusted mine once in 4 years. Surelocks would be my choice for a ZR, for sure.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.