Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 1st day on the slopes yesterday

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    @patd- sure you're not on your way to pick up the winnings from the big lottery, they say 2 people won and 1 is from idaho(FREE- freewheels for everyone)

I know I'm not alone in the spinal cord injured community when I say that I'm a pansy with cold weather. It wasn't the reason that I wanted to come to Texas! How do you deal with the cold while skiing? I loved skiing before my injury, but the intense workout in the legs definitely help keep me warm!

layers. high end gear too. you still get cold, but its worth it.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Thanks Pat.... Hope you had a great time today on the slopes....
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by EyesOfTexas View Post
    I know I'm not alone in the spinal cord injured community when I say that I'm a pansy with cold weather. It wasn't the reason that I wanted to come to Texas! How do you deal with the cold while skiing? I loved skiing before my injury, but the intense workout in the legs definitely help keep me warm!
    $100 on sale waterproof ski pants, $40 waterproof ski gloves, $40 long johns, $125 waterproof/insulated hiking boots, GOOD wool socks, insulated undershirt and a warm sweatshirt, and I got a $189 waterproof columbia ski jacket on clearance last spring for $59. Waterproof is the key for begining for laying in the snow when you fall. Or if it snows while skiing as it piles in your lap.

coldest i get is when the snow guns are on going up the lift at night, it stings and freezes my ass off.

js, i picked up dam near the same columbia deal end of last season.

i have spyder ski pants and bibs for real cold nights. they help alot
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Quote Originally Posted by EyesOfTexas View Post
    I can't stand the cold! I have never liked it and never saw any good use for snow.... until I tried skiing last winter. What a change.

Still don't like the cold but skiing is so fun that I just learn to deal with it.

When it comes down to it, with the right gear, I can stay warm all day.
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    Pat... You are killing me man!!!! That is where I want to be. Maybe this year!!!! I hope I hope I hope!!!!!

So how long did it take you to get to that level of ability?

What would be your estimation for a fairly active L1 Para that skiied a fair amount before SCI and has water skied all his life been fairly athletic but is now older (a young 54) and thinking it is time to go Sit Skiing.... (almost 5 years post SCI)

I am trying to put together a first time sit skiing trip to Telluride, CO. I don't want to spend my whole time in ski school. I feel fairly confident I will be able to pick it up pretty quick but just have nothing to gauge it by.

I guess I am just asking you to share your learning experience!!!!
    Don't worry at all about spending your entire time in ski school when you start. You are going to be having fun (and getting tired). Having instructors around to teach you the ins and outs of mono skiing, plus picking you up and having your back on the slopes is a really good thing. And most of the instructors are great people and fun to be on the mountain with.

Besides, at a lot of schools, the instruction is practically free. At my local program, you can pay $92 for a lift ticket, or $150 for a full days lesson. The $150 includes access to the slopes. So you're paying less than $60 for a full days lessons and you often have more than one person with you.
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

yesterday was another great day, little frustrating. worked on slow speed, so lots of falling. but these pics are when we werre working on turns at a good speed. my friend and i are both big guys so we really get moving. i love speed. back out for more traing thursday night.

Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Looks like you are having great fun!!!!! Very cool. I cannot wait to try it!!!!!
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!