Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 1st day on the slopes yesterday

I have a friend that just bought a condo in Telluride. I am hoping there is a si skiing set-up there. I may try to go this year but more likely it will be next year before I get to go try. I used to love to snow ski and miss it so much!!!
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

I wish I had friends!!

Downhill skiing has proven to be the best rehab exercise for me and there's no better feeling of freedom from sci. The programs around the country really make it easy to do with such great volunteers and equipment. Just do it!

Just kidding about the friends, I have one.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    strong shoulders, perfect setup and lots of practice. for us higher quads w/out tri's the bi unique is the ski to run. im still tethered but my instructor doesnt do much, some speed control when i really get moving. ill try to get pics sunday.
    Good on you. I definitely should give it another try now that I'm stronger.

Sorry, I'm ignorant. How do you do it? What's the equipment? Are there special areas set aside for this type of skiing?

Quote Originally Posted by mamadavid View Post
    Sorry, I'm ignorant. How do you do it? What's the equipment? Are there special areas set aside for this type of skiing?
    You can see what it looks like below. Keep in mind this guy is a low level paraplegic with strong core and arms. He is amazingly skilled!

I think most ski resorts allow sit skis.

Telluride - great place. Spent a winter there in '89 skiing and ice climbing, living the dream.
    I have talked to Colleen the head of the adaptive school there. Grange, they are very nice and want to help you.

I haven't skied there after SCI but I went there 2 summers ago and handcycled up Lizard Head Pass - needed more oxygen.

It is such a beautiful place : here is the view from our friends deck.. at 9000 ft. Not half bad

That video is excellent ... It is hard to ski powder in a monoski. YOu have to be really light with the riggers and almost not use them. Gets me psyched ! !

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by Klymir View Post
    Good on you. I definitely should give it another try now that I'm stronger.
    once you try it, you'll see why it is talked about often. Patd is right on with his comment about the freedom it brings. too bad i live where it is flat

Cool Arn.... I am glad to hear there is a a good adaptive school there and that you know the head of the school. It is always nice to have an "in" to something new and to be able to say, "Hi, I am Grandin, the guy Arndog told you about!!!!!!"

It will realistically be next year when I get to go. Who knows maybe something will materialize for this year!!!

TellUride is not the most easily reached place on the planet. As a matter of fact... It got it's name from the early settlers. They called it "To Hell You Ride"......

Hey Arn I found this website... Is this where your friend works?
    http://www.tellurideadaptivesports.org/