Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 1st day on the slopes yesterday

Monoskiing is great,but it would be a challenge to compare it to this:

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Powder skiing vs. Sex, always a worthwhile debate!
    Bah! Half the damn planet has a vagina, how often are you at the top of a mountain staring down at fresh virgin powder!

I am going to give it a try, thanks for the advice. I am sure it will be bittersweet.

couldn't agree more.....

Pat, Scarver question.

What are those bars/frame around your foot bucket?
    And I see you had the dualski before. Nice videos btw!
    Is the Scarver any easier to ski? How 'bout gettin' up if you fall down? Do you have enough upper body to get up independently?
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by patd View Post
    Skiing is the best rehab excercise if you ask me! To take my kids skiing is one of my greatest joys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ6gN9LEL_A

Hi Pete,

I built a foot support for my setup.

I modified my dual ski with a longer motorcycle shock. I found that it raised me up and gave me more up and down movement. This improved my turns. So, the scarver puts me at the same height and I found no difference in the balance. I use out riggers that seem to be longer than usual, but they are neccessary to allow me to get up by myself if I tip over. Most of the time I can right myself, but if I screw up on the flats I need help getting up.

I also need help from the lift opperator to lift my bucket into the loading position as I can't do it myself. Once my bucket is up I can balance and wait for the chair and sit down.

Usually, I can slide off the chair and dismount with little problem.

I find that the scarver mono ski is easier than the dual ski when pushing around and I make much better carved turns with the scaver. I'm actually very excited to be improving.

Arndog
    thanks for the pic! I truly miss the feeling you get right before dropping in on a gnarly line!

What I miss

I miss the "click" "click" "slap slap slap" of stepping into the bindings and flopping the snow off the ski. I haven't tried skiing post accident, due to various reasons (mostly because I worked at a ski mountain on weekends for my free pass). I need to get myself back in better shape before I head out to attempt it next year.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    arndog,

thanks, i can tell from your other posts you know what its like to love deep powder I am about a year and a half post injury and in rehab they assesed me at a t7 funtional level (I do have a burst fracture at t8 hence my charming name) I feel I have gained more stability since then but maybe I am just getting better at things.

how is sitskiing compared to ab boarding? is it like sex, good but compared to when you were ab basically disappointing?
    I was an avid snowboarder before my accident as well. I finally got out and tried out the mono ski a few weeks ago and am addicted. I wish there was a mt in my backyard. It def isn't snowboarding though. I was a freestyle boarder who loved the park, pipe, and everything in between. I was never a charger and liked playing around the hill as I came down the run. I'm about a year and half out as well and still compare things to the life I used to know. Its easier said then done, but you have to sort of get yourself out of that thinking. I def hope I get out there on the slopes again soon and no have been turned into a charger. Here is a quick video I made with a few runs I did during my first day. I like to think I did pretty good on bullet proof east coast ice conditions. I even threw in a wipe out. I hope to get out west next year and really kill it. oh yeah and I'm a T6 level injury and had no problems. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRVk_hDktsg

I was a big skier prior to my injury and I have been mono-skiing 20 years post injury. I can tell you it is the most liberating thing you can do with a SCI. You can be completely independent on the mountain. You can ski virtually all of the terrain, no matter how gnarly. I mean big moguls, single blacks, double blacks. Steeps. Chutes. Trees. Big air. Cat skiing. Heli-skiing.
    It has ALL been done on a mono-ski. I am T-6 complete and although higher injury levels are much more challenging to master I skied my first double black last year. It was exhilarating and a feeling of great accomplishment. How many AB's do you know who can ski at that level? Bonus: NOBODY skiing upright can ski as fast as you can in a mono ski.
    "If you are going through hell-keep going." -Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by warchi81 View Post
    I was an avid snowboarder before my accident as well. I finally got out and tried out the mono ski a few weeks ago and am addicted. I wish there was a mt in my backyard. It def isn't snowboarding though. I was a freestyle boarder who loved the park, pipe, and everything in between. I was never a charger and liked playing around the hill as I came down the run. I'm about a year and half out as well and still compare things to the life I used to know. Its easier said then done, but you have to sort of get yourself out of that thinking. I def hope I get out there on the slopes again soon and no have been turned into a charger. Here is a quick video I made with a few runs I did during my first day. I like to think I did pretty good on bullet proof east coast ice conditions. I even threw in a wipe out. I hope to get out west next year and really kill it. oh yeah and I'm a T6 level injury and had no problems. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRVk_hDktsg
    You are doing amazingly well for your first time out!

Come out and ski at Mammoth some time. We are open until June.
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community