Thread: ideas on how to get hand function

ideas on how to get hand function

hi

i have open and close function of my right hand and im needing to get full finger function as im needing to learn nzsl

Has anyone used the digiflex hand exerciser
    http://www.activeforever.com/p-4-gri...exerciser.aspx

I have benefited a fair amount from clay therapy that concentrates on strengthening not just the muscles and ligaments of the hand and wrist, but the muscles surrounding the scapula, as well. Any occupational therapist should be able to supply you with a listing of appropriate exercises. However, it seems to be a long and tedious process in that the gains come in minimal spurts, and it's taken me about two years to get to the point of opening and shutting my R hand. The best of luck in your endeavors to learn sign language. That's an interesting field. ")
    Last edited by Patty41; 01-19-2011 at 12:49 AM.

Mike Utley told me that he worked on his hands by having a piece of paper placed in front of him. He'd put his hand on the paper and try to crumple it up. At first, he could just stare at it and visually try to move his fingers. Eventually, many months later, he could crumple it up somewhat. He's been going down to Miami everyear latley, to some hand clinic down there. Haven't seen him since.

I think the moral of his story was that it takes time, patience and perseverance to make change. also a "never-give-up" attitude.

Hi All, can anyone pls recommend a good hand therapist in Carlsbad/San-Diego area. No hand or wrist function (C5-C6 fracture level, not sure of neurological level). Tried bioness but that didnt work. In real need of proper exercising, 8months post injury now, so hand, fingers and wrist all contractured by now. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post

I think the moral of his story was that it takes time, patience and perseverance to make change. also a "never-give-up" attitude.
    You're so right, Patrick!! Especially, when dealing with the upper extremities, there are no quick fixes to SCI repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Adema View Post
    Hi All, can anyone pls recommend a good hand therapist in Carlsbad/San-Diego area. No hand or wrist function (C5-C6 fracture level, not sure of neurological level). Tried bioness but that didnt work. In real need of proper exercising, 8months post injury now, so hand, fingers and wrist all contractured by now. thanks
    Sorry Adema, I'm from the east coast and not familiar with any therapists on the west coast. The best of luck to ya!!