Thread: Adaptive Tech for urinary control

Adaptive Tech for urinary control

Good evening, My name is Corey Allan my very close friend reciently had a construction accident where he broke T 7,8,9,10. He is now a paraplegic. I will be researching the more technical aspects of how facilitate a fullfilling lifestyle for my friend. I will start w posing this question. I read an article on a new spinal implant to help people with paraplegia to exercise paralyzed limbs. http://www.innovations-report.com/ht...ed_166175.html

This in affect this is a electro stimulator also used in forms of recreational excersise for theoretical muscle growth and gains among other things. I am wondering how we could adapt this to the bladder and sphincter muscles w surgery to have controlable bladder functions with a muscle contraction activator? Just a thought. I have many more. Thank you for your time.

Allan,
    Sorry about your friend. I am a T-10 complete. I was hurt in construction too. We are in a very different life style compared to our active constructive lives. If your friend has any questions, my email is joemonte@nep.net. It will make a difference if he is a complete injury or incomplete.
    Best Regards,
    Joe Monte

There is already a device called the Interstim but it ony seems to work on pts with incomplete injuries and limited use. and of course expensive
    CWO

Welcome to our forums. It is great you are looking for resources for your friend. How about getting him on our site in person?

What is his actual neurologic (not fracture) level of injury? Complete or incomplete (AIS)?

The implanted device you site is still experimental. Until it is better tested, both for effectiveness and safety, it might be worth exploring the use of a FES bike or other forms of FES (functional electrical stimulation) for your friend. This is done with external electrodes. These devices are not cheap, and rarely covered by insurance, although Worker's Comp may cover for him with enough pushing.

The Interstim does not give volitional control over voiding. It only is useful in inhibiting bladder spasm and incontinence, but does not work for most people with SCI.

There are some experimental surgical procedures for emptying the bladder (but not the bowel) using muscle transplants. Currently I don't know of anyone in the USA doing this, but you could check on the Cure forum.

The Vocare II implant has been used to electronically empty the blader and bowel and achieve erections. There are very few surgeons in the USA who are expert at this surgery or the many adjustments of the system needed after implant. In the USA it is FDA approved only for those with truly complete injuries as implantation requires cutting the sensory nerves from the bladder, bowel, and genitalia. In Europe and Singapore these requirements do not exist, so it is used somewhat more there.

For either of these surgical procedures, the person must be at least a year post injury to be sure that the injury is truly complete.

(KLD)