Thread: footrest on Quickie keeps dropping ground-level

footrest on Quickie keeps dropping ground-level

for some reason, my footrest on my quickie wheelchair keeps dropping to the ground. when it drops, i literally have to plow my way to get help. luckily, i've been at home but i've left a trail of track marks from the footrest digging into the tiles, the ramp, etc. sometimes, the footrest is so low to the ground that my front castor wheelchairs are suspended mid-air.

so far, the only thing i know to do is to push back the footrest into place but without fail it dislodges. is there something i'm supposed to do to secure the footrest?? the footrest is the adjustable kind you typically see on lightweight wheelchairs.

this is a new wheelchair and aside from the many other problems i have with it, i can't understand why the footrest is already acting up.

any help is appreciated. thank you in advance.
    Last edited by underthesun; 12-11-2010 at 08:24 PM.

Can you show some pics? I can help you find a solution.

When you "push" the footrest back up, are you tightening the set screw?

Blog Entries
    If it is the plate itself that is flopping around, you should be able to tighten a couple of bolts on the bottom and fix the problem. If the whole assembly (1/2" tubing and the footplate) are dropping down, there is either a bolt and nut just above where the 1/2" tubing goes in to the thicker tubing called downtubes, or there is a allen bolt at the bottom of the downtubes that you can't see unless you turn the chair upside down. Position the plate where you want it, and then tighten up the type of bolt that is on your chair.

Don
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Quote Originally Posted by herrlich View Post
    Can you show some pics? I can help you find a solution.
    everyone, thanks for your help.

the first is of the footrest. it's hard to tell in the photo but the castor wheels are slightly above ground from the footrest being so low.

the next photo is of the outer tubing that the inner tubing goes into.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    When you "push" the footrest back up, are you tightening the set screw?
    i see where the screw goes into but the opening is so tiny, i can hardly see what's going on inside.

if it's a question of a screw loosening or falling off, is there a good reason why both sides would undo at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    If it is the plate itself that is flopping around, you should be able to tighten a couple of bolts on the bottom and fix the problem. If the whole assembly (1/2" tubing and the footplate) are dropping down, there is either a bolt and nut just above where the 1/2" tubing goes in to the thicker tubing called downtubes, or there is a allen bolt at the bottom of the downtubes that you can't see unless you turn the chair upside down. Position the plate where you want it, and then tighten up the type of bolt that is on your chair.

Don
    it's the whole thing.

also, i was looking at the smaller tubing and i don't see any "pegs" that you can tighten the bolts into. if that's how they're made, how do they hold up with the tiny bolt squeezing the tube in place?

is there a standard bolt size? i honestly can't see what size bolt is needed.

You can find easy at any hardware store 2 bolts if you don´t have the original ones. Usually that uses M6 and the lenght can be around 30mm (a bit more than 1 inch). Someone who works there can help you checking if this is the real size and thread. The head of the bolt can be of any type, torx, allen,hex...

Did this photo explanation help?

thanks for all your help, herrlich. the photo was very helpful.