Thread: Stem Cell funding put off for another year??????Please say it ain't so!!!!

Stem Cell funding put off for another year??????Please say it ain't so!!!!

As I left for work this morning I was watching CNN when the bottom ticker that they use for tidbit news stated that:

"Congress has decided to put off stell cell funding for another year"

I had to leave and do not know the whole story. Hopefully someone can fill me in

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I sure hope this was a mistake.!!!!

I just did a search on CNN and there was nothing there. The story may appear later. However, I am not surprised because of the threat of the presidential veto. They probably could not get the compromise language that would be acceptable to the White House and therefore decided to delay rather than risk being vetoed. Please note that since the amendment is being proposed for the human and health services Appropriation bill, a veto fight would simply delay funding for all research and NIH and everybody would lose.

These delays are frustrating. The debate has already delayed the availability of human embryonic stem cells by over a year. It was on the verge of passage in the last year that Clinton was in office. Then there was the 8 month delay during which the current administration reviewed the matter. The whole issue disappeared in September for two months and now is being shelved for next year's appropriations bill.

The delay is unconscionable. NIH could have funded studies in the year 2000. Note that it takes NIH at least a year to start funding human embryonic stem cell work after the appropriation bill is passed. First, they have to announce the rules governing the research. Second, scientists then need at least 3-6 months to write the application. Third, NIH has to review the grant applications (3-6 months). Fourth, even after funding starts, there may be delays because laboratories must hire people, buy equipment, get the cells, validate them, and set up experiments.

At the present, given the lawsuit between Geron and the University of Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation (WARF) concerning the right of Geron to have an exclusive license to the stem cell lines and therefore the right to exclude it from any scientist who does not agree to provide intellectual property rights to discoveries to Geron, I suspect that some scientists may be electing to wait to apply to NIH for the funding. Some scientists who are already working with Geron will be applying.

I am also concerned by the other report about NIH planning a site visit of Bangalore (India) and raising questions about an upsurge of embryos being harvested in the month before August 9. So, the administration appears to be reducing the number of cells lines by evaluating the motivation of the groups who had derived the embryos before August 9. This is silly. Why are we doing this? After all, the embryos have been harvested. Not using those cell lines won't change a thing other than to reduce the stem cell lines that are available for research.

In the meantime, of course, there are no restrictions at all on companies and private organizations harvesting stem cells from embryos or fetuses, and even those that are created specifically for the purposes of research. It makes no moral, ethical, or practical sense. The current policy is actually encouraging the destruction of more embryos.

Wise.

You can find the information on delay of stem cell funding on the CNN site by scrolling down to health