Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: DR Kao appears to best hope today

Man,

...we need to get lots of testimony comparing Dr. Kao's thoughts prior to surgery with what people actually get back. If there's no problem with compressions or adhesions, is there really anything being offered? I keep hearing claims but not the results.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Jeff - My point exactly, there's a lot of hoopla before the surgery and very little to report afterwards.

DA - I'm hoping neotrophin will be available to SCI's by 2005, especially once it's approved for Alzheimers.

Curtis - Ditto. Having one's back split open during 8 hours of surgery is a little much for a toe wiggle and the promise of assisted ambulation with braces by the fifth year.

Stew - There's a reason SCI centers of excellence are actively pursuing Dr. Cheng but not Dr. Kao. On one of the other Kao threads someone mentioned a lawsuit filed against him by someone who's surgery had been botched overseas.

You know, I got an interview with Dr. Kao. He gave me some very useful information about my injury, and helped me with rehabilitation. I only spoke with one contact person on the phone he recommended. That person was six months post surgery and said they were recovering bladder control. He was open and knew an amazing amount.

He has an oustanding list of publications on his Vitae. But what bothers me is that they seem to end about a decade back. He doesn't correspond over email with his patients. Does this mean that his therapy stopped evolving a decade back? Because alot has changed in medecine in the last decade, especially in SCI repair. Also, he has changed his therapy from what I understand...(incorporated the omentum graft???) What does he have to compare this change with? He hasn't done a blind study of this procedure, has he?

Eric Texley

DISCREDIT

According to the American Board of Medical Specialties, Carl C. Kao, M.D., is certified by the American Board of Neurological Surgery. I don't feel that it is my job, nor the job of Dr. Kaos past patients, to defend his standing in the medical community or his reputation.
    Dr. Kao has been very open and honest about his past and his career to all of his patients. We did in fact, question him in regards to past litigations and patients. He sat down with us and told us what we wanted to know. It is not my place to "relay" that information on to you. If you would like to hear about that ask him, or write to the state medical board and request information. I don't think that anyone of Dr. Kaos patients has tried to "cram" his procedures or work down anyones throat. Dr. Kao does not go around claiming his work or procedures are the "absolute". He answers peoples calls, he responds to faxes, he travels at the request of others (i.e. patients), he offers hope, if nothing else. There are not many physicians that hope to SCI individuals. It would seem that there are more and more posts here in the "cure" forum about trying to discredit physicians, advocates, procedures, research, possible advances to a cure, as well as various centers that deal with or treat SCI. Every time someone posts something regarding one of these issues, there are that many more posts trying to discredit the original post. I guess I don't understand the issue. People come here to post questions, ideas, concerns, new research, to share their experiances and so on. You can't even call this a debate. Fingers are being pointed and alogations are being made (in this case it regards Dr. Kao). People want proof and first hand accounts of Kaos work and of patients revovery. Why should anyone want to come here and post their experiances with Dr. Kao, or share their recovery with you? Everytime they do, they are shot down. Excuse me if the fact that I am able to wiggle my toes is not exciting enough for any of you. Pardon me if the fact that I have cramps in my abdomin when I have to take a "shit" is not progress! Never mind the fact that I am able to push my own "crap" out without sitting and digging for an hour or more. Forgive me if forgot to mention that for the first time in over a year that I am able to achieve an erection and maintain it as well as ejaculate. I am so sorry that being able to move my thighs and flex muscles in my legs isn't progress in your eyes.

[This message was edited by birdeJ on November 06, 2001 at 12:28 PM.]

Great post jim,there is only a few poeple that have had his surgery that come to this site and all of there surgery's have been lately

MY RESULTS

I GUESS I'M ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE YOU NEVER HERE ANY MORE ABOUT. I'VE HAD DR KAO'S SURGERY 2YRS. 2 MONTHS AGO WHEN HE WAS IN ARGENTINA. I HAVE HAD NO CHANGES AT ALL. I'M A T-10. THE FIRST YEAR I DID 2 TO 4 HRS. OF HIS REHAB EVERY DAY. NOW I DO 1 TO 2 HRS OF REGULAR REHAB EACH DAY WAITING FOR SOMETHING NEW TO TRY. I THINK DR KAO IS AN EXCELLANT SURGEN BUT NOBODY IN OUR GROUP HAS HAD MUCH IN THE WAY OF RESULTS. I THINK THE REASON YOU DON'T HERE MUCH FROM THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE HAD THE SURGERY IS THAT WE ALL KEEP HOPING TO GAIN SOMETHING AND IT'S HARD ACCEPT WE MIGHT HAVE MADE THE TRIP FOR NOTHING. MY $2000.00 ITALIAN CUSTOM MADE BOOTS SIT IN THE CORNER COLLECTING DUST MONTH AFTER MONTH.

Rick

What claims did Dr. Kao make to you or others prior to surgery? If he said nothing might come of it that's one thing. If he was fairly certain you'd get results that would make me concerned. He is in some cases making fairly bold promises. I think when cell transplant technology catches up to his fine surgical skills he'll be able to help people a lot more than he can now. I think I'd like to have Dr. Kao do my operation just because of his experience with compressions, adhesions and syrinxes. Still, when I get opened up I want a known regenerative quantity also applied. At least if it's still necessary by then. Your surgery is still probably going to benefit you in the long run by putting your cord in a better position for future treatments.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

BirdeJ - No one in this thread has attacked anyone for having Kao's therapy and I don't believe anyone is afraid to post their results. Bruno and Bilby have had similar surgeries without significant results yet and no one's "shot them down" at all. I think you're being a little defensive. There's nothing wrong with having an open and honest discussion expressing ones views regarding the various treatments now being offered. Because someone may seem a little more skeptical or be a little more inquisitive than someone else isn't evidence of defamation. I know I and most of the active people on this forum have wished you and everyone else good luck in all their treatment endeavors and I think the readers here appreciate having all sides of an issue discussed.

Rick - Thank you for being open and honest.

JEFF, I WAS TOLD I WOULD GET MOVEMENT/FEELING TO MY KNEES PLUS BOWL AND BLADDER MOVEMENT. I POSSIBLY HAVE SOME BOWL I.E. THE ABILITY TO PUSH SOME BUT NOTHING ELSE. THATS THE DISAPPOINTING SIDE. ON THE PLUS SIDE I GOT MY RODS REMOVED PLUS THREE BONE SPURS AND PART OF A BONE LEFT STICKING IN THE SPINAL CANAL THAT MY AMERICAN DOCTOR FELT WOULD NOT MATTER SINCE THATS THE WAY I WOULD BE FOREVER. SO I THINK I'M MUCH MORE READY FOR WHAT EVER I TRY NEXT. I GUESS YOU HAVE TO DECIDE IF THAT WAS WORTH $30,000.00 OR NOT. IF THE INJECTIONS IN RUSSIA WORK MAYBE YES. IF I HAVE TO BE OPENED BACK UP AGAIN MAYBE NOT. WHO'S TO KNOW?

Dr. Kao

This is my first time to join in the forum. I have carefully read each of your thoughts and opinions on Dr. Kao. My husband was injured this past summer. We saw Dr. Kao three weeks ago. He offered "hope" which was a word we have not heard for five months from the best doctors in Birmingham, Alabama.