Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yet Another Question about Mid-Level Paras and Handcycles

Quote Originally Posted by Spicule View Post
    Hi Kiran, this is Mike Negraeff in Vancouver. Nice to see you again! I am thinking of getting the Freedom Ryder FRH-1 and a trainer to use indoors in winter here. Did you look at that one? It looks pretty comfortable for the cruising experience also and sounds like they've solved some of those problems like turning radius, busting brake cables and rubbing your legs with the front wheel.
    In fact I was thinking of seeing if Patrick in Blaine would mind letting me try his out if I came for a drive down to Blaine.
    Mike!! Hi!! Thanks for being so good to me while I was in recovery

I actually haven't looked at the FRH-1, but the fact that it's lighter than a Force has me intrigued. One of the biggest concerns for me is how I'd transport my bike. I was using a loaner over the summer and I couldn't take it anywhere. I could only ride it out of my garage. It's definitely more cumbersome than a racechair, which I could easily lift and load into my car.

If you do get a chance to try out Patrick's, let me know how it goes. I'm trying to make as informed of a decision as I can. Clearly I have a lot to research.

By all means Mike, Come on down and try mine out. I think you'll really like it. The steering is much better than the top End. No more hastles with the rubber steering dampner ripping like on the Top End bikes. I've had mine since march of '09 and still haven't broken a cable where as with the T/e I was breaking one every three months or so.
    I've been a Top End rider since the early 80's and was kind of miffed that they didn't have a decent higher recumbent out anymore other than the old XLT. The FRH-1 and the LC1 are really great bikes.

the nice thing about the LC1 Kira, is that it breaks down really easy. Same for the FRH but the LC is even easier..

Also, if you feel like coming a bit further south, Freedom Ryder is based in Portland, and the owner is more than happy to set people up with samples.

A friend rides the FRH1, I ride an LC1. I love the lean steer.

I am a T-7 complete and have the newer Force...I ride for the workout and I race as well... I drive a small saturn sedan and can fit my bike in the car...although no one can ride with me I can still get it in there...

If you are wanting to race sometimes Kiran in [my own opinion] I would not recommend a Freedom Ryder BUT like I said my own opinion. The force-2 in not much different from the regular force either and they are on sale for the holidays...

Good luck!
    T-7 Complete
    "If you don't like something, change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it."

If you want to race, I recommend the Force R or, if you´re on a low budget, the Force 2. When you hit around 20mph, the wind drag is too strong for a sit-down bike.

I´m a T-6/7 and can feel my abs working even with the Force R. And although the sit-down bikes have more visibility, I can still enjoy a lot the sceneries using my Force R. You just need to get used to it.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    the Freedom Ryder LC-1 is an awesome bike and very fun to ride for leisure, it easily cruises around at 12mph with little effort. i don't think it would be a full out racing bike though. i like sitting up and enjoying the ride while watching to make sure i don't get run over. the recline position would make it hard to see where going all the time, i ride in town, so that wouldn't be good.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    the Freedom Ryder LC-1 is an awesome bike and very fun to ride for leisure, it easily cruises around at 12mph with little effort. i don't think it would be a full out racing bike though. i like sitting up and enjoying the ride while watching to make sure i don't get run over. the recline position would make it hard to see where going all the time, i ride in town, so that wouldn't be good.
    I ride the force and have no problem seeing where I am going...
    T-7 Complete
    "If you don't like something, change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it."

Keep in mind too that with the freedom ryder FRH1 you can lean it back with the optional backrest post and have the best of both worlds. Heres a picture of the FRH1 with the optional backrest post installed. http://freedomryder.com/ You don't want to general ride with it setup like this, but for racing it is the ticket, makes the bike feel like a totally different animal. It's listed under options as the "Jointed seat tube" it is an extra $375.00. The Zipp wheels are a good option too, especially for racing. I use my one Zipp on the front and the spinergies on the back for general riding and no problems, I notice I go faster climbing hills with these wheels and at higher speeds because they are more aerodynamic. The only problem with all these things is price, you figure $3695.00 for the handcycle, an extra $2400.00 for the Zipp wheels (I recommend three of these over the Spinergy, much better wheel, wish I had three rather than just one front, but I got the two rear used in spinergies for $300.00) and then the Jointed seat tube your looking at $6470.00 total, just make sure to keep it locked up.
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 12-13-2010 at 03:45 PM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred