Thread: architects in or near Clermont, FLA

architects in or near Clermont, FLA

Hi all I've just bought a home in Clemont, FLA. I'm looking to get it nicely adapted for my use. I'm looking for a disbility aware/ADA aware architect to work with and get some plans drawn up. Does anybody have any good architect recommendations? or any other advice regarding home adaptions?

many thanks

Simon

Architects & ADA

Make sure your architect you hire graduated from architect school after the late 1990's because they will know about the ADA and accessibility not one that graduated in 1975. Not all architects know the personal needs of people with disabilities so prepare a list of features you would like to incorporate into your new home design. Architects do not know disabilities but accessibility. Make sure your architect is state certified. Some municipalities, the residential building inspector may only accept architect certified plans for construction.

Actually the ADA does not cover residential homes but it does cover governmental housing, same guideline as you would follow in a residential home.

Make your home accessible for a gurney just in case of an emergency happens? Like a 36" door out of the master bedroom.

Use casement windows against double hung windows. You may also want to select bathroom/shower room fixtures be you hire your architect.

Download a copy of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Accessibility Guidelines for Buildings and Facilities, ADAAG and be familiar with it. Especially Fig. 31, Lavatory Clearances, page 50. Take a close look at the lavatory's faucet height and bottom reflective surface of the mirror if you have a cabinet that opens.

A new standard is coming up soon.

http://www.access-board.gov/ada-aba/...ndards-doj.cfm

You may want to consider a shower room with a flat floor and trench drains over a roll in shower. See Curbless Shower An Installation Guide.

http://www.ncsu.edu/www/ncsu/design/..._p/pshower.htm

Also attached is a trench drain layout of what I did in my shower room in 2007 (top) and what is being built in my new home now (bottom) without a trench grate, still using trench drains. For more room inside a shower room install a wall hung toilet where the tank is in the wall giving you extra inches inside the shower room.

Read my previous threads about this topic. Pictures and pdfs are attached to them. My post Extreme Makeover: Shower Room Edition has a listing of manufacturers and their web site addresses.

Ti
    Credits:
    Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Accessibility Guidelines for Buildings and Facilities, ADAAG, U.S. Architectural and Transportation Barriers Compliance Board (Access Board), Washington D.C., 2010.

Curbless Shower An Installation Guide, The Center For Universal Design, NC State University, College of Design, 06/2003.

Last edited by titanium4motion; 12-09-2010 at 06:51 PM.
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."