Thread: Stem Cell Inc Trial for chronics

Stem Cell Inc Trial for chronics

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/StemCe....html?x=0&.v=1; called them to questionm about trial and th e3-12 month limit on candidates. they said trial will include those only. I asked about 5 years out and they said posible expansion of trial at later date. Just thought I'd see if any reason for limiting test.

keeping on

This is not nerve regeneration, this is repair of the myelin sheath (just like Geron but with hESC). If you have significant sparing, you will most likely benefit. The further up the ASIA scale you are, the more effective this should be. Conversely, the lower you are on the ASIA scale, the less effective this will probably be.

Many of us will need axon regeneration. I hope this proves effective for those that have significant sparing.

Schmecky, thanks for the info. Myelin repair is essential for ms. From what I read, some of us also have a need for remyelination. either way , let's hope it works.

keeping on

Schmeky, do you think it is pure coincidence that the Univ.Clinic Balgrist has been performing the Novartis Nogo trial (axon regeneration between C5 and T12) since 2006, and now they are starting the StemCells, Inc. trial in parallel?

My answer is no, because the driving force behind of all this is one of the greatest SCI-research scientist, Prof. Martin Schwab. Dr. Schwab has always said that the ultimate cure will be a combo treatment for both - acute and chronic.

I am very happy that these promising trials are run in parallel at Balgrist. So far, they've treated 56 patients with the Nogo-antibody in a phase I trial. But if you look at the detailed protocol, you'll see that they ramped up the dosage and compared continuous vs. bolus antibody delivery - see article below P. 20 (file from www.wingsforlife.com website: http://www.wingsforlife.com/sc_24_Jo...d-the-IFP.html ).

If phase II goes well (120 patients to be treated), the Nogo antibody - once approved as safe - may well be used for chronic injuries, since I was told that the antibodies worked as well for the moderately contused spinal cords in the chronic rat model.

The Nogo antibody allows for both, axon regeneration and remyelineation.

I guess the implants from StemCells might remyelinate bruised axons and possibly fix neuron damage in the cervical and lumbar circuits.
    Last edited by wilfried; 12-09-2010 at 08:50 AM.

Good news Wilfried.

Being lumbar patient i hope neural cell treatment bring some good results as i could have this treatment for my lumbar injury.

When phase2 trials of Nogo are starting dear wilfried? Any news to you?

Do u think stemcells inc will be conducting phase2 trials with more old and lower injuries in a year or so?

Quote Originally Posted by keeping on View Post
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/StemCe....html?x=0&.v=1; called them to questionm about trial and th e3-12 month limit on candidates. they said trial will include those only. I asked about 5 years out and they said posible expansion of trial at later date. Just thought I'd see if any reason for limiting test.
    keeping on
    ... to my point of view, they should look at the extend of injury instead of looking at the months or years post..
    G78

Wilfried,

In the link you provided I read through the abstracts but didn't see anything that indicated any type of combination trial that would address myelin repair and nerve tract regeneration. In fact, some of the data indicated there is still research to be done to achieve this goal.

Jawaid:
    Dr. Curt said that they'll most likely have the data from the anti-Nogo phase I trial completed by the end of this year (there were 16 patients in the last group and they collected the data of each patient over a period of one year). Since everything went well, they expect to start phase II in the next couple of months.

Your questions regarding the StemCells trial, I would recommend you contact the company directly. I think they will - as Novartis did - relax the exclusion criteria if the ongoing results of the trial look good.

Schmeky:
    I think there might be a misunderstanding - because I didn't express myself clearly. I wanted to mention that Dr. Schwab always said that the ultimate cure will be a combination of several techniques. In other words he wanted to tell the public that they should not expect the Novartis anti-Nogo therapy to be a general cure for SCI.

Since Novartis is committed to becoming a major global player in neurosciences (have a look at their product pipeline), it is my guess that it is not a coincidence that stem cells are needed to complement the anti-Nogo therapy which is limited to axonal regeneration.
    But it should be emphasized that the re-grown axons don’t require separate remyelination since the antibody obviously takes care of that, too.

I remember that the Schwab group published papers years ago which dealt with the healing of transgenic MS-mice which functioned normally after treatment with IN-1 antibodies (you may want to read more on the website of the Brain Research Institute http://www.hifo.uzh.ch/index.html ). Or contact Anita Buchli who is Dr. Schwab’s scientific assistant, she can certainly answer your questions.

Also, Martin Schwab always mentioned a third ingredient for the ultimate cure: neuroprotective substances for acute, and cell bridges for chronic injuries (scar problem). The StemCells, Inc. therapy might as well take care of the latter one.

Thank you wilfried for detailed reply.

Hope things will be much more encouraging in 2011.

Just hope that clinical trials of combination of therapies with stem cells to begin soon somewhere.

We will look forward to the results.
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.