Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solid seat pan

Solid seat pan

I searched and read the solid seat pan threads - any updated comments on the best/lightest/most durable after market solid seatpans to put on my TiLite ZR with the bolt-on upholstery?

TiLite have a CF version with any new chair order?

Quote Originally Posted by Spicule View Post
    TiLite have a CF version with any new chair order?
    TiLite version isn't CF, it's G10. Dragon Plate seems to be the way ahead with DIY seating.

Blog Entries
    Take a look at totol1's post on making a seat pan by CF strips: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=141164
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

ADI sells a carbon seatbase.
    Know Thyself

Thanks for all the recos everyone!

For 17+ yrs I have always had a sling seat. I have been thinking about a solid seat for a while. Last week I called a buddy who works in a fab shop. I sent him a dxf of the profile I wanted and yesterday I had the pan in hand. Last night I took off the old sling (7 months old) and put the solid one on (velcro).

I hopped in chair and knew within 30 seconds that a solid pan is the only way.

The real crazy part was when I went to hop in bed. I popped right out of the chair and into bed. My sling seat was sagging some but man what a difference.

I used 1/8" al plate. It is a little heavy so I may go to strips (thanks totoL1). I plan on putting a tiny crease running the long way in each one to make them more rigid.

Man what a difference......

The other side of the coin is . . . while I prefer a solid seat pan for all of the reasons everyone has mentioned in all the threads, pressure mapping has shown for me in my chair with my cushion the pressure in my ischial area is substantially higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Skogy View Post
    I used 1/8" al plate. It is a little heavy so I may go to strips (thanks totoL1).one to make them more rigid. I plan on putting a tiny crease running the long way in each
    A 1/8" heavy? what is it? anyway if is fix it with velcro, you can take it out for have lighter transfer weight.

For make it more rigid the best thing is go for a larger thickness.
    I ordered a new panel for make new strips for my seat, but they send me a wrong panel which is thinner (3.5mm) i cut the panel and after tried it, it has to much flex for my taste, and i wasn`t sure that it will be safe for go down curbs.
    So i dicided make it more rigid and you can see in the pic how i did it, i just add a little strip in the area where i need more strength, it just based on a leaf spring suspension, now work perfect.
    Anyway today i get an email of this guys telling me that they are sorry for send me a wrong panel and i will get a free panel with the correct thickness, so if it`s true, that i doubt it, i will post a pic in my thread with the seat with all the strips in one piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Beagle View Post
    The other side of the coin is . . . while I prefer a solid seat pan for all of the reasons everyone has mentioned in all the threads, pressure mapping has shown for me in my chair with my cushion the pressure in my ischial area is substantially higher.
    What cushion you run?

Skogy, watch your skin for a few mths very close
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer