Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: hydrophilic cath question - Coloplast/Mentor Sef-Cath plus

  1. #1
    Senior Member NW-Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Posts
    1,787

    hydrophilic cath question - Coloplast/Mentor Sef-Cath plus

    The company Mentor has recently been purchased by Coloplast.
    Hi,
    Having to change suppliers again, just when I think I have it figured out.

    It's so nice, the new supplier has just sent me catheters without asking
    if I have a brand or type preference (sarcasm).

    So I have a box of Coloplast Self-Cath Plus hydrophilic catheters.

    I have been quite happily using Bard Vinyl catheters, and Cure Vinyl catheters. A sachet of lubricant and a vinyl glove and I can cath anywhere.

    I've never used hydrophilic catheters and these come with pretty scant instructions, I've googled a bunch and all the hydrophilic catheters I find online come with their own water or lubricant supply and seem very cool.

    These do not come with their own water or lubricant supply.

    So I break the packet open and add regular faucet water?
    How much water is required?

    So this means I have to carry a bottle of water around with me as I'm not
    always in a bathroom or in a bathroom where I can access the water supply.

    Or can I use my usual sachet of lubricant with them?

    I have to admit I haven't used these yet and they are sounding like a hassle in comparison. Does anyone use these and like them ?

    Thanks for any input.

  2. #2
    Moderator jody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    east o the southern warren
    Posts
    8,530
    I get hydrophilic, and they come with the pouch of water that you break and the lube is already in it, on the catheter. I dont know of a hydrophilic that does not come with at least the built in lube, which is dry until you wet it, then is slippery instantly.

  3. #3
    Who's your supplier?

    Coloplast makes a variety of hydrophilic catheters, so there should be one that suits your needs. I'm partial to their SureCath, which is a closed system (has its own collection bag) and has a sachet to lube the catheter.

    Generally speaking, hydrophilic catheters are much, much gentler to your urethra than an ordinary catheter to which you apply lubricant. I don't see that as a matter of opinion, but I'm sure someone will disagree.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    I get hydrophilic, and they come with the pouch of water that you break and the lube is already in it, on the catheter. I dont know of a hydrophilic that does not come with at least the built in lube, which is dry until you wet it, then is slippery instantly.
    The original LoFrics came without a water sachet; you had to run them under the tap.

  5. #5
    Moderator jody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    east o the southern warren
    Posts
    8,530
    yes I started using those, but the lube was still dry already on the catheter, that's what made them Hydro's. I developed a sensitivity to the gel lubes for some reason. I tried Mtg brand recently, I actually like their costomer service, and they sent samples of what I would be ordering right away. http://www.medtechga.com/main/index.html
    I agree the hydrophilic are gentler, but they are very slippery and it takes some getting used to how floppy soft they are.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    yes I started using those, but the lube was still dry already on the catheter, that's what made them Hydro's. I developed a sensitivity to the gel lubes for some reason. I tried Mtg brand recently, I actually like their costomer service, and they sent samples of what I would be ordering right away. http://www.medtechga.com/main/index.html
    I agree the hydrophilic are gentler, but they are very slippery and it takes some getting used to how floppy soft they are.
    The degree of firmness also varies. Coloplast's SpeediCath, for example, is extremely firm and has a different coating than other Coloplast hydrophilics.

  7. #7
    Senior Member MikeC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    1,228
    I use the coloplast self-cath plus. I just use faucet water and put in enough water to fill the 'sleeve' that the hydrophilic catheter comes in. I open the container just a few inches - enough to pour the water in. I let it sit in the water about 30 seconds and then use it.
    Mike
    T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Injured in Oct 2003

  8. #8
    Senior Member NW-Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Posts
    1,787
    Thanks for the answers guys.

    Still wondering if it would be ok to use a sachet of lubricant on these catheters, use as though they are conventional catheter. Those times when you're not close to a water supply etc.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    Thanks for the answers guys.

    Still wondering if it would be ok to use a sachet of lubricant on these catheters, use as though they are conventional catheter. Those times when you're not close to a water supply etc.
    Un-wetted its surface is pretty rough and I would question whether applying even a water-based lubricant is sufficient.

  10. #10
    Senior Member MikeC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    1,228
    I grabbed a hydrophilic catheter by mistake once and put sugilube on it. It was very very rough (I didn't use it). However when you add water the catheter is really smooth (hard to grip except the top part). I only use the hydrophilic at home but I can see where you may be without 'clean' water - maybe others can tell if they always carry an unused water bottle with them. Mike
    T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Injured in Oct 2003

Similar Threads

  1. Coloplast Sure Cath Pain
    By Steven Wayne in forum Care
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-04-2009, 05:42 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-13-2009, 06:05 PM
  3. Mentor/coloplast self cath Plus vs Plus soft
    By leschinsky in forum Care
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-23-2008, 12:51 AM
  4. NEW Self Cath Product from MENTOR
    By chasb in forum Equipment & Services
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-14-2007, 09:56 PM
  5. Mentor Straight Tip Self-Cath 16" 14 FR
    By vsu in forum Equipment & Services
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-18-2006, 07:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •