Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XBOX Kinect - people in wheelchair don't exist

I played the demo in the store and it "found" me.

We did read that most games WILL NOT work with me though, we will most likely get one for the kids and hubby anyways. I rarely play.

I am very sorry for your little one
    L1,2 Para since 9-12-99
    ~*~*~Priscilla~*~*~
    Mommy to William (2004) Lucas (2008) Nathan (2011)
    The Wheelchair Mommy Blog

I just got one KNOWING there were problem with wheelchairs (i have an 11 year old t-10 para) do a little web research and there are some games and hacks to get it to read. I was blasting Microsoft all over the place until I found out it is up to the game devs to include skeletal tracking for seated users. Microsoft even had a gaggle of wheelchair users come in and test Kinect and offer feedback on alternate gestures for them to implement in the future.

Gonna try again tomorrow and I will report back in...

I have a Kinect and have been able to play kinect sports in a manual chair in specific bowling, boxing, and ping pong...finding games is hard, but dont give up you'll find something
    I do like Johnny Walker says and Keep Walking

I'm sorry your son was dissapointed.

I think there needs to be a reality check here though. Do you really think that every product ever released has to be made completely compatible with every disability? If so, do me a favor and go after ford and chevrolet first for not making wheelchair accesible cars ok? That will be a lot more helpful and we'll go after microsoft when we can all easily drive to the protests.

This is not on microsoft or sega. You made an uninformed purchase, that's all.

I seriously find it hard to beleive that people are surprised when those with mobility challenges have difficulty using a product that is expressly designed to be operated through whole body movement.
    Last edited by Zaphod; 08-27-2011 at 01:43 AM.

I understand the frustration. I was disappointed when I found out it couldn't track me, but we bought a Wii instead and there are so many games I can play and even play with kids. Its not a whole body experience, but its fun. There's games like tennis and bowling which are exercise, and use your arms a lot like the real game.

You might write the manufacturer and tell your story and ask for your money back, just because you didn't know it wouldn't work for him-not because they were wrong to make it. Then you would have money to buy another game system.

I have a Xbox 360 with the Kinect system. It can read me but it is hard to find games. I found some games through AbleGamers which I saw their booth at the Chicago AbilitiesExpo this year. The games I've found for sitting in my chair are:

Brain and Body Connection (found on my own)

Fruit Ninja (AbleGamers)

Kinect JoyRide (Microsoft via link below)

Kinectimals (Microsoft via link below)

Forza Motorsport 4 (Microsoft via link below)

The Gun Stringer (Microsoft via link below)

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/kinect...255d83471d785e

The things I've found is to make sure you have the kinect sensor placed in a spot that is exactly mid-chest level when seated in your chair.

The address for AbleGamers is http://www.ablegamers.com/.
    Mimi

I would like to echo what Funklab and Zaphod had to say. I am a t-10 para (25yrs post injury) and have come to understand that there will simply be things I can't do (I would have loved to join the army but understand that is impossible). It breaks my heart about the 9yr old boy but hopefully he will come to appreciate that there are still millions of activities for him.

Just to follow up. My first issue was my son purchased the Kinnect system and the game which came with it and at no time did the assitant ever mentioned while he took the child's money that he may have difficulties using the system because he was in a wheelchair. I took that issue up with the shop and they did send an email around to all their stores. While this will not stop somebody from making an ill-informed choice for a child in a wheelchair but at least the store will advise a wheelchair user when they purchase the product.

I also followed up with Microsoft and they did make an effort to address the issue by bringing Sean into Microsoft and working with him on the system. Thanks to Microsoft's actions, Sean really only has positive memories of the whole episode so I just left it there.

I agree the Kinnect system did track Sean and it was the game which refused to acknowledge him. He has used the Kinnect to talk to friends while gaming but finds the echo is bad and requested a headset for Christmas, so the Kinnect has now been regulated into equipment we no longer use box as we have never purchased another game to use with that system.

Quote Originally Posted by soimumireland View Post
    Just to follow up...
    Wow. Not many would bother after 2 years. Nice to hear you got some response.
    A couple years ago I bought a Wii hoping it would entice my wife to try and maintain some fine motor skills. That didn't work out either. We mostly use it to watch netflix. Perhaps a game that eliminates some physical barriers doesn't really appeal to the disabled. It would be interesting to see the usage rates of interactive game systems as a percent of population for disabled and able-bodied.