Thread: rehab

rehab

this young man i really don/t know him just a friend of the kids

any way he broke back t-12 about a month ago is at shepards they are dismissing him in 16 day with no other rehab is that unusally?

Yes, unfortunately the insurance industry has driven down the average length of stay in acute rehab for those with paraplegia to 18 days nationally. The rehab centers may not agree with it, but the insurance companies are refusing to pay for more. Of course it is also up to the insurance company whether or not they will pay for any outpatient therapy, and where, as well.

(KLD)

he is on work comp injured on job

Then I would guess this decision was driven by his WC insurance and case manager. I hope he has an attorney, and that he has discussed this with his case manager and asked for a justification for such a short stay (if he feels he needs it to be longer and still has uncompleted functional goals and gains to make).

(KLD)

If your friend does not have a worker's compensation attorney he/she needs to retain one asap. If a person is found to have a compensable injury the insurance company is NOT the person who decides what and how much tx the claimant will receive. The state worker's compensation judge is the only one who can decide. The insurance company would like you to believe that they have this kind of power, however they do not. A company can controvert a case and then it must be brought to court where a judge will determine if it is compensable. After that, if it is determined they are responsible, the insurance company has the right to periodically send the claimant to their mds for evaluation, and to see how they are progressing etc. They can challenge type of care, length of care etc, however as i say they DONT make the decision. If your friend was really injured at work and it is found so, he/she will not likely in the end have that much difficulty getting what they need. The insurance companys can be a pain to deal with, but if you are truly injured on the job and advocate for yourself and your mds advocate on your behalf you will get what you need, in my experience. However you must have a worker's comp attorney. They do not charge nor are they allowed to charge anything to the claimant out of pocket. They wont even take a case they know they can't win. They will be paid out of the earnings etc, of the employee.

Keep in mind that Worker's Comp programs are a state program, and the rules and procedures vary widely state-to-state. Federal Worker's Comp applies only to federal non-DOD employees.

(KLD)

he really was hurt on job went to get in loader and slipped fell in a hole 15 down on crossbeams

they were out in the middle of nowhere he had to tell 911 how to get where they were
    he said thank god he had his hard hat on

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    he really was hurt on job went to get in loader and slipped fell in a hole 15 down on crossbeams

they were out in the middle of nowhere he had to tell 911 how to get where they were
    he said thank god he had his hard hat on
    oh god, yeah atleast he was wearing his hard hat. I hope is ok and gets things worked out with worker's comp. It's a bitch to deal with them an being injured at the same time. Hope he as someone to help him with all that stuff.
    Last edited by marycsm77; 12-08-2010 at 08:43 PM.