Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Voice activated cell phones

Voice activated cell phones

Any experience?
    I use the service provided by AT&T for voice dialing, works ok for short stays alone. Wouldn't mind texting though. Has anyone compared Iphone and Blackberry, etc? using bluetooth headset?
    please . . .test what you already know; and give us what you have. we may not be dying, but we certainly are not living either

My husband was set up with a voice activated cell phone and bluetooth in rehab.
    The problem was is voice was not strong enough many days for the phone to recognize it.
    After a bout of pneumonia and now using a trachea and having some vocal cord damage he gave up on it.
    I think they work well for a lot of people though.

Linda - is it totally voice controlled, as in you can initiate a call without any movement? We have found that chad can have a phone (or bluetooth) auto answer an incoming call, or can talk on the phone once the bluetooth button is pushed and the call will drop when the other caller hangs up, but we have never been able to figure out a way he can be sitting there and initiate a call without some kind of physical assistance. I would LOVE to find something he could use 100% on his own, having the ability to make an outgoing call on his own would be a godsend.

if you have a computer with voice recognition, get a skype account. For $3 a month you can voice dial from the computer to any landline/cell without limits. Video chatting is great too. As long as the computer's on, and they've got their headset on, everything is hands free. he'll hafta give everyone his new skype number though. if you wanna only dial computer to computer, it's free. the $3 is only for calling to/from regular phones.

I'm in the process of getting my dad a new laptop with speech recognition setup so i'll let you know how skype works for him. at first i was looking into getting his cell setup so he could voice-dial, but i realized it made so much more sense to have the phone integrated into the computer system instead.

also, skype doesn't currently support sms texting natively but there are some workarounds available. it might be easier to just use a different program. gmail's chat feature allows sms texting. i use this on a regular basis but haven't tried it with speech recognition yet.
    Last edited by MCubed45; 12-08-2010 at 03:39 AM.

I have enough use of my arms that I can press the palm side of my hand to my ear, wearing wrist support. So I bought a Bluetooth headset that has the button for answering and initiating a call facing out, and glued to the button one of those little rubber bumpers you have on kitchen drawers. The only # programmed into my phone is AT&Ts menu, I use their Voice Dial system which is free for disabled. Their VD sys is actually very good. My phone is an old Razor, so I thought if I’m upgrading maybe I could get something that I could do more than call with.
    please . . .test what you already know; and give us what you have. we may not be dying, but we certainly are not living either

This is email I have sent to phone manufacturers and AT&T, I have only received a response from AT&T but it doesn't seem like they know the answer.

I have been trying to determin exactly how much a smart-phone will let me do by voice commands. I now have an old Razor phone, I can answer and initiate calls by pressing the button on a bluetooth ear-piece. I have enough use of my arms that I can press the palm side of my hand to my ear, wearing wrist support. So I bought a Bluetooth headset that has the button for answering and initiating a call facing out, and glued to the button one of those little rubber bumpers you have on kitchen drawers. If I upgrade my phone can I have use of text messaging, or access any other basic apps by voice command? I guess I am hoping for voice recognition similar to Dragon Naturally Speaking, not really complex enough to do web surfing, but good enough to open and close some basic apps, and to send and receive texts.

Cell phone

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel View Post
    Linda - is it totally voice controlled, as in you can initiate a call without any movement? We have found that chad can have a phone (or bluetooth) auto answer an incoming call, or can talk on the phone once the bluetooth button is pushed and the call will drop when the other caller hangs up, but we have never been able to figure out a way he can be sitting there and initiate a call without some kind of physical assistance. I would LOVE to find something he could use 100% on his own, having the ability to make an outgoing call on his own would be a godsend.
    Hi,
    I'm new to this site, but saw your question about a useable cell phone for Chad. I'm a C6-7 Quad w/no hand/arm movement. I use a cell phone, with a bluetooth that was adapted by company called Saje Technology. I have a HP cell phone that's voice activated. Saje adapted a bluetooth that's connected to a clicker clipped to my headrest, so I just tap the clicker w/my head and say, "Call so-and-so", and it dials whoever I say, provided the name is on my contacts list. For incoming clls, it automatically answers after 2 rings. I can't tell you how much freedom this has given me, as well as saved my life more than once when I needed help while alone. I'm NEVER without it. The cost for the bluetooth is around $300, plus the cost of a phone, but worth every cent. Go to www.saje-tech.com, or call 847-756-7603. It's called an Easyblue.
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by MCubed45 View Post
    if you have a computer with voice recognition, get a skype account. For $3 a month you can voice dial from the computer to any landline/cell without limits. Video chatting is great too. As long as the computer's on, and they've got their headset on, everything is hands free. he'll hafta give everyone his new skype number though. if you wanna only dial computer to computer, it's free. the $3 is only for calling to/from regular phones.

I'm in the process of getting my dad a new laptop with speech recognition setup so i'll let you know how skype works for him. at first i was looking into getting his cell setup so he could voice-dial, but i realized it made so much more sense to have the phone integrated into the computer system instead.

also, skype doesn't currently support sms texting natively but there are some workarounds available. it might be easier to just use a different program. gmail's chat feature allows sms texting. i use this on a regular basis but haven't tried it with speech recognition yet.
    This is great but it doesn't work if you have satellite internet.

I would think if you know anybody handy, for less than $300 you could just get a regular bluetooth headset and have them solder some wires to the power switch and end it with a stereo jack. Then you can use it with most switches available.
    c3/c4, injured 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Nicksdad View Post
    Any experience?
    I use the service provided by AT&T for voice dialing, works ok for short stays alone. Wouldn't mind texting though. Has anyone compared Iphone and Blackberry, etc? using bluetooth headset?

These people could probably help you out. I don't know how expensive the items are though. www.BroadenedHorizons.com

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Thumbs up thank you!

Thank you Todd for this information. I am also new to this site and am researching for a dear friend who is frustrated with not having any privacy or independence when it comes to communicating with others.

Quote Originally Posted by wccowboy View Post
    Hi,
    I'm new to this site, but saw your question about a useable cell phone for Chad. I'm a C6-7 Quad w/no hand/arm movement. I use a cell phone, with a bluetooth that was adapted by company called Saje Technology. I have a HP cell phone that's voice activated. Saje adapted a bluetooth that's connected to a clicker clipped to my headrest, so I just tap the clicker w/my head and say, "Call so-and-so", and it dials whoever I say, provided the name is on my contacts list. For incoming clls, it automatically answers after 2 rings. I can't tell you how much freedom this has given me, as well as saved my life more than once when I needed help while alone. I'm NEVER without it. The cost for the bluetooth is around $300, plus the cost of a phone, but worth every cent. Go to www.saje-tech.com, or call 847-756-7603. It's called an Easyblue.
    Todd