Thread: Winter glove for contracted hand ?

Winter glove for contracted hand ?

Hi all! I'm in DC, and it's just stared to get cold enough that I need to wear gloves to protect my hands as I'm outside in my power chair. I use the controller to drive the chair with my left hand. This hand also happens to be the hand that is paralyzed, with moderate contraction of my thumb/fingers. (I've been getting botox injections, which helps to ease the contraction. However, as it wears off, and especially in the cold, things tend to tighten up quickly.)

I've tried wearing mittens, but I find they become very clumsy and prohibit me from using what little function I have in that hand. Currently, when I try to get my fingers into a glove, it is very difficult to get each finger to relax and slide into the finger slot.

I am wondering if anyone has found some type of (magic) fingered gloves, or perhaps some other trick, that would allow me to get my hand into a more functional glove and keep it warm and protected, while also allowing me to control my chair?

It's a tall order, I know. I just try to remain hopeful and optimistic.
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying." - Andy

Contractions and pain in my hands make covering them a winter a challenge so I am always on the lookout for better solutions for gloves. Does your other hand work enough to do up a zipper? I usually use mittens myself but last year I found a pair of gloves that look almost like this. I don't have any hand function so somebody has to take them off and on for me. But with the zipper they open up very wide and are actually easier for my caregiver to put on my hands than mittens. I had tried ones that zip up the back and they worked okay. But the side zipper opens the glove up more. I wonder if something like that would work for you?

Last edited by orangejello; 12-06-2010 at 12:54 PM.

I've given up and just wear a mitten. But right after rehab my aunt adapted a glove where the top was cut so it could open up and then be velcroed closed.

But I drive my chair with my least functional hand and generally keep my functional hand ungloved and in my pocket.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Thank you for the replies!

Those zipper gloves look very cool. I think if I can get my hand relaxed, they might work well. It's definitely something I've not seen before. Thanks!

@Emily - That sounds like a very good adaptation! I also use my least functional hand to drive, while keeping my other hand in my pocket.

I was out the other day and did not have any protection on my hand. It took almost an hour for it to return to normal color and temperature. It also aches and cramps more when cold. I definitely don't need skin issues or frostbite!
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying." - Andy

This may sound like an odd suggestion - could you have a sleeve made that fits loosely over the controller and your hand for the chair. It would just need to have an elastic opening that you can slip your hand into. This 'bag' would keep the cold out and allow you to drive your chair with no glove or mitten. You could keep a mitten handy in case you needed your hand out of the 'bag' for any length of time.

where to get

Where can a person get these gloves and how outragious is the cost???

Quote Originally Posted by orangejello View Post
    Contractions and pain in my hands make covering them a winter a challenge so I am always on the lookout for better solutions for gloves. Does your other hand work enough to do up a zipper? I usually use mittens myself but last year I found a pair of gloves that look almost like this. I don't have any hand function so somebody has to take them off and on for me. But with the zipper they open up very wide and are actually easier for my caregiver to put on my hands than mittens. I had tried ones that zip up the back and they worked okay. But the side zipper opens the glove up more. I wonder if something like that would work for you?