Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Movies about spinal cord injury

Movies about spinal cord injury

I realize that many people here may not have an interest in watching movies about somebody with spinal cord injury, in the same way a doctor may not have interest in watching doctor movies. However, movies represent the lives of people with spinal cord injury to the general public and so I try to watch them when I find them. So, I thought that I would start a topic about movies that feature spinal cord injury. I just came across one that I had never heard of before, call "My Own Love Song", starring Renee Zellweger. Made in 2010, it is a sensitively and beautifully shot movie (available in HD from Netflix) but not highly rated (three stars) by viewers. Zellweger does a good job, in my opinion.

http://www.netflix.com/WiPlayer?movi...8&trkid=805148

The Sea Inside with Javier Bardem is my favorite, from 2004. It is the biography of Ramon Sampedro, a quad who fought for the right to die with dignity 30 years after his diving accident. You can read more here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    The Sea Inside with Javier Bardem is my favorite, from 2004. It is the biography of Ramon Sampedro, a quad who fought for the right to die with dignity 30 years after his diving accident. You can read more here.
    I remember when i went to see this movie for the first time, it was before my injury of course. I recall walking out the theatre thinking man, SCI has to be fucking bad...
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

While not spinal cord inury, per se, the film does a good job of depicting severe paralysis.
    From Wikipedia
    "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly is a translation of the French memoir by journalist Jean-Dominique Bauby. It describes what his life is like after suffering a massive stroke that left him with a condition called locked-in syndrome (completely paralyzed, can't talk, just move his eyes to communicate). It also details what his life was like before the stroke.

On December 8, 1995, Bauby, the editor-in-chief of Elle magazine, suffered a stroke and lapsed into a coma. He awoke 20 days later, mentally aware of his surroundings but physically paralyzed with the exception of some movement in his head and eyes (one of which had to be sewn up due to an irrigation problem). The entire book was written by Bauby blinking his left eyelid, which took ten months (four hours a day). Using partner assisted scanning, a transcriber repeatedly recited a French language frequency-ordered alphabet (E, S, A, R, I, N, T, U, L, etc.), until Bauby blinked to choose the next letter. The book took about 200,000 blinks to write and an average word took approximately two minutes. The book also chronicles everyday events for a person with locked-in syndrome. These events include playing at the beach with his family, getting a bath, and meeting visitors.

The French edition of the book was published on March 6, 1997. It received excellent reviews, sold the first 25,000 copies on the day of publication, reaching 150,000 in a week. It went on to become a number one bestseller across Europe. Its total sales are now in the millions. Bauby died two days after the book was published, on March 9, 1997, of pneumonia."
    Last edited by gjnl; 12-05-2010 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 0xSquidy View Post
    I remember when i went to see this movie for the first time, it was before my injury of course. I recall walking out the theatre thinking man, SCI has to be fucking bad...
    Right, it doesn't sugar-coat anything. At the same time, it shows the love all around him and how he had to weigh and prioritize the different realities of his life. It doesn't get any easier to watch, but every time it's on cable, I'm there.

Here is a list of movies and books about spinal cord injury that was compiled by the Christopher Reeve Foundation:
    http://www.christopherreeve.org/atf/...eos%207-08.PDF

I was quite surprised to see how many there are.

All the best,
    GJ

Coming Home inroduced me to SCI. It made an impression on me, it stayed with me for awhile. Soonafter came my own SCI.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky View Post
    "Coming Home inroduced me to SCI. It made an impression on me, it stayed with me for awhile. Soonafter came my own SCI.
    "Coming Home", was out the summer I got injured and I went to see it the first weekend home from Rehab. As you say Lesch it stayed with me and was a good starter for SCI life in terms of movies. John Voight and Jane Fonda seemed to be handling the "SCI thing" OK.

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky View Post
    Coming Home inroduced me to SCI. It made an impression on me, it stayed with me for awhile. Soonafter came my own SCI.
    Not from a movie, but my first intro to SCI was Christopher R. doing an interview while he was in a halo. This was before my accident and I was at the gym at the time. I remember putting my hand in front of my face and making a fist several times all while thinking how can anything ever stop me from doing this. I am ashamed to say that I never thought about SCI again until 2 years later when I was hurt.
    Life's perceived journey in this PMR is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a VR ride!"
    Pete C6/'97

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    Right, it doesn't sugar-coat anything. At the same time, it shows the love all around him and how he had to weigh and prioritize the different realities of his life. It doesn't get any easier to watch, but every time it's on cable, I'm there.
    But don't punish yourself...
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)