Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Movies about spinal cord injury

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    I realize that many people here may not have an interest in watching movies about somebody with spinal cord injury, in the same way a doctor may not have interest in watching doctor movies. However, movies represent the lives of people with spinal cord injury to the general public and so I try to watch them when I find them. So, I thought that I would start a topic about movies that feature spinal cord injury. I just came across one that I had never heard of before, call "My Own Love Song", starring Renee Zellweger. Made in 2010, it is a sensitively and beautifully shot movie (available in HD from Netflix) but not highly rated (three stars) by viewers. Zellweger does a good job, in my opinion.

http://www.netflix.com/WiPlayer?movi...8&trkid=805148
    just watched this via netflix streaming. thx wise prob not highly rated by viewers cause obly 1 thing blew up i liked it, enjoyed the music and didn't know renee could sing.

I just watched My Own Love Song via Netflix and was appalled to discover there were no subtitles or captions on the disk. I have (fortunately mild) hearing problems and was barely able to follow the movie.

It seems the studios are removing all special features--including captions--from the disks they send Netflix, in hopes of forcing more DVD sales. Special features I can do without, but removing captions? That should be illegal. The studio shouldn't be doing that, and Netflix shouldn't be giving tacit approval by buying and distributing those disks. I'm breaking out the pitchforks and torches; who's with me?

they really didn't address sci. didn't show how she got on bus, bathroom issues...things like that. i mean, i couldn't just take off on a bus like that. but...still liked the movie. there's a name for this genre...but, course i forget it, nouveau vague or something like that.

soli, you couldn't get subtitles?? on a disc? i watched it streaming. all my netflix discs have had subtitle options.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    soli, you couldn't get subtitles?? on a disc? i watched it streaming. all my netflix discs have had subtitle options.
    Yep, on a disk! Netflix has been telling the hearing impaired to get their movies on disk to avoid the lack of captions or subtitles on their instant downloads, now this. I was upset enough to call customer service and complain, and the representative told me that nearly 45 percent of their complaints are about lack of captioning.

I had to laugh at the one brief shot of the little wooden ramp at one of the motels they stayed at; I drove all around Cooperstown looking for an accessible motel two years ago (after the place I had made reservations turned out to have stairs after all). Finally their Chamber of Commerce told me one motel would put out a portable ramp for me. It was really two planks and a couple of bricks, leading to a room two stairs and a big three-inch bump above the sidewalk... with a wheelchair symbol on the door.

I just ran across this documentary, which you can view on-line (requires Quicktime):
    Not Just Walking

I am trying to get it on DVD for my unit.

(KLD)

Murderball

I know it is old but to me it is inspiring
    Being I love athletic stuff this movie is one of my favs

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    The Crocodiles

I just ran into this on public tv, it was awesome.
    The kid in the wheel chair was great, and was portrayed in an excellent light.
    If you have a youngster in a chair this will be fun for them to watch.

He builds rocket boosters into his chair to give him that extra boost.
    His friends help him pee.
    He negotiates some stairs with a handrail.
    He gets thrown out of his chair and he has to get back in unassisted.
    Plenty of wheeling and dealing with awkward terrain.
    They tell you he's a T11.

Oh it's shot in Germany and the version I just watched was with sub-titles.

The award-winning German dramatic comedy The Crocodiles sets a fast-paced, rough-and-tumble tone from its opening moments.

A boy named Kai, a newcomer to town who uses a wheelchair, wants to join the cool kids, who call themselves the Crocodiles. The Crocodiles aren’t sure if Kai will fit into their life of adventure, but before long he’s able to help them in their crime-busting and in learning about life and friendship. In German with English subtitles. (98 mins., 35mm)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0803100/

Hi Jody I remember that movie with John Ritter but I forgot the Name

Originally Posted by jody
    I've only seen two. the one with the lady skiing off the mountain in the late 70's and the one with John Ritter. It was filmed on a farm I worked at once. saw them before sci.

wow I never knew you used to work there
    Amazing
    you rock

[QUOTE=GL;1306043]Hi Jody I remember that movie with John Ritter but I forgot the Name

Originally Posted by jody
    I've only seen two. the one with the lady skiing off the mountain in the late 70's and the one with John Ritter. It was filmed on a farm I worked at once. saw them before sci.

wow I never knew you used to work there
    Amazing
    you rock[/QUOTE

The name of that movie is "Leave yesterday behind"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077841/
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred