Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: How happy are you comparing to pre-SCI?

How happy are you comparing to pre-SCI?

I wonder how many people have recovered to their happiness level pre-SCI one year after the injury?

I can honestly say that I have. Physically - I am a different person. Emotionally / spiritually, I have not changed.

No me. 16 months post, it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    No me. 16 months post, it sucks.
    Major suckage here too. I have happy moments, but sci slaps those down real fast.

Nearly two years post and have to honestly say no, I'm don't have near the fulfilling and happy life as I did pre-injury. However, with that said, there are still some good moments of happiness and laughter.

im happy. I try hard to be. its been ten years.

Physically, absolutley no way. Emotionally and spiritually... definitely. Physically I hurt most of the time and I can tell my heart isn't as healthy as it used to be. I miss the way my body used to feel after tennis or riding a bike. It's not the same no matter how many miles you go on a handcycle.
    Emotionally - yes. I was in a bad marriage, stuck in a small town mentality and trying to convince people who weren't worth it that I was worthy of something. I have few friends, but they are true friends, I have a good relationship, and I let go of all of those things that just really don't matter. Oddly my accident brought all of that and I am not sure I would go back to the old me. I would go back to the old body though. To me it's kind of like saying you'd go back and be 21 again if you could retain the knowledge you have.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    Physically, absolutley no way. Emotionally and spiritually... definitely. Physically I hurt most of the time and I can tell my heart isn't as healthy as it used to be. I miss the way my body used to feel after tennis or riding a bike. It's not the same no matter how many miles you go on a handcycle.
    Emotionally - yes. I was in a bad marriage, stuck in a small town mentality and trying to convince people who weren't worth it that I was worthy of something. I have few friends, but they are true friends, I have a good relationship, and I let go of all of those things that just really don't matter. Oddly my accident brought all of that and I am not sure I would go back to the old me. I would go back to the old body though. To me it's kind of like saying you'd go back and be 21 again if you could retain the knowledge you have.
    Did you always feel like this or did it take a while after your injury?

6 years post. Not as happy by a long shot. Not depressed, but I've
    missed out on so much.

To paraphase an astrology disclaimer (and not to get too Hannah Montana or Miley Cyrus)....Spinal Cord Injury does not compel it impels and life is what you make it. After 28 years, it is hard to define what happiness was before the injury and am I back there??? How would I know. I am a different person today than I was 28 years ago and of course, even without the injury, I would be a different person today, and life moves on and what makes you happy moves and grows as well. My life is good, even with the injury, I am healthy, I have good friends, and a loving wife. I'm Happy.

All the best,
    GJ