Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: How happy are you comparing to pre-SCI?

I agree with what addiesue said.
    I have always been an handy-man and it makes me angry to know that my life as a sci could be easier physically and mentally if some barriers were knocked down or any alternatives created.
    I often tell people and show them how to make a ramp, how to improve this or that. Things so simple that it is ridiculous nobody cares.
    I have to say that what makes sci suck so much and 90% of the time are other people actions and indifference. We live in society but some people ignore it, they dont care if you have limitations and if you cant have a life because of it. In the U.S.A. i have found it to be completely different in a better way.
    I was born and lived in Portugal and there is no way someone here can have a normal life using a wheelchair. If they say so, i still dont believe it.
    Laws regarding accessibility are there but no tough laws to punish who ignores them.
    In no way i could be happier than before sci.
    I just wish i could get out of here.

Quote Originally Posted by TMAZ View Post
    I love alot of things in my life. I can say that there are things I dont like as well. Life gets more complicated as you age as well. When I got my sci I was 34 and now I am 38 so things change a bit. I feel like I am 65 physically and 18 mentally. Really not a good combination. Life is good right now but it changes daily.
    Brother, I am right there with you, except my digestive system is 85 years old.
    And the truth shall set you free.

I was thinking about this and at times it is situational. For example if I am at my work conference thing which is on the beach in South Carolina I am really not happy bc all my work friends went running to the beach after the seminars and I'm either struggling to get down there or in the bar. So, no then I wasn't as happy as before. Or when I am at live music staring at a bunch of inconsiderate people's butts and elbows. Or when I notice men I am with checkin gout a girl walking by. Then I am thinking my butt is sooo much better than hers, oh wait it was.... But overall I am happier.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

over 3 years

I have changed alot, still the same jokester that I was but my patience level has gone down meaning I have more compared to before. I dont worry about the little things my kids do that used to bother me I know I go along with it. As selfish as it is I am not here for me anymore I am here for my kids and my wife to make their lives as close to what they were suppose to be when i was pre sci, i know i should do stuff for me which I do but mainly its all about them and I am in the process of placing this in a tattoo for my left forearm to remind me what i am still here on this earth for.

But all in all this SCI SUXSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    What ever doesn't kill you makes you stronger

I think it's safe to say we all would rather not have a SCI!!!!!

This thread is about happiness with a SCI. I am not happy that I have all the shit that comes along with SCI. HOWEVER.... I can still be and I am still happy even with a SCI.

Most of the things that made me happy before SCI still make me happy. Some frustrate me. Some piss me off. I also have a bunch of new things that make me happy. (Example: If I go out for a night playing guitar and singing at an open mike night or a coffehouse gig and I make it home without peeing all in my pants.... THAT MAKES ME HAPPY!)

Most of the things that made me unhappy before SCI still make me unhappy AND I have a whole host of new shit that makes me unhappy! (See the example in the paragraph above and you figure out the rest!)

With that said I still say I am a generally happy guy because I choose not to dwell on the shit that makes me unhappy. Instead I choose to focus on all there is that does make me happy! I don't do this to be an inspiration to anybody or to put up any kind of front. I do it because that is what makes me happy. In this case I don't think I am any different than an AB person! That is just the frame of mind that I live by. Oh sure, I have my moments when I want to sit on the pity pot but I cut those off as soon as I recognize I am doing them. It does nobody any good.

I make no claims that MY WAY is the RIGHT WAY or the WAY IT SHOULD BE DONE. I am just sharing in this thread about happiness!
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    This thread is about happiness with a SCI. I am not happy that I have all the shit that comes along with SCI. HOWEVER.... I can still be and I am still happy even with a SCI.
    Well, I've certainly changed over the years for the better. I'm certainly not in the darkest states I was in the first few years. I just still get frustrated with the whole thing; SCI feels like a job I never get time off from.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
    SCI feels like a job I never get time off from.
    That is a good description. Sometimes it can be overwhelming can't it!!!!

I do believe there is a difference in how a person that becomes SCI at a younger age approaches things as compared to someone that becomes SCI at an older age. Having had my accident at 49 I have lived and done alot more with my lower half intact than someone that becomes disabled at say 18 years of age.

I do believe there is a difference in how a person that becomes SCI at a younger age approaches things as compared to someone that becomes SCI at an older age. Having had my accident at 49 I have lived and done alot more with my lower half intact than someone that becomes disabled at say 18 years of age.
    I was injured when I was 22, now 25..in the past three years I have done more in a chair than I had done in my entire life!
    T-7 Complete
    "If you don't like something, change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it."

I think you're right about this. Disability, like life, is a continuum with a wide range and where one happens to be in life when injured, and level of injury have much to do with what and how things change. I can't entirely imagine how I would feel about life if I had been injured at a younger age, or with worse complications. I know I feel relieved to have gotten as far along as I did in my 35 years pre-injury, so that means at some level I know it would be a much tougher existence navigating school and career and babies and a mortgage dealing with SCI challenges, too.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.