Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: How happy are you comparing to pre-SCI?

I am 19 months post accident and I've had good recovery. In many respects I am not happier even though I have learned a lot of good things about the people around me, maybe things I didn't fully appreciate before. I miss running; even though I can walk good distance, I miss the carefree nature of walking as we all once knew it.

SCI was like dying a little, I've lost things I will never get back, things that other people take for granted.

It breaks my heart to see people with more severe injuries than my own realizing that the "cure" will never be experienced by them ---or me. I am so furious at those that want to hold up stem cell research in the name of "protecting life."

I have no desire to be an inspiration, a miracle, or a motivational speaker. I just want to be quietly normal.

Quote Originally Posted by sorefm View Post
    SCI was like dying a little, I've lost things I will never get back, things that other people take for granted.
    It is akin to dying. In fact, I've often wanted my gravestone to read April 24, 1982 - October 20, 1997. In many respects, that is the day I died.

I have that on my Facebook info ... October 31st 1972 - July 29th 1985 ... then I have animated July 29th 1985 - Present. lol!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    There are those that are happier being not happy!!!!
    I CONCURE. i Will Add This.

He's a font of misplaced rage. Name your cliché; Mother held him too much or not enough, last picked at kickball, late night sneaky uncle, whatever. Now he's so angry moments of levity actually cause him pain; gives him headaches. Happiness, for that gentleman, hurts. (GARLAND Greene).

I Love Con-Air.

Fuckin A it's like dying a little! I know I got it better than most of you but still.....It Fucking SUCKS!!!!!!!!!! I mean when your Dick quits working and all you do is think about it all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by duge View Post
    Fuckin A it's like dying a little! I know I got it better than most of you but still.....It Fucking SUCKS!!!!!!!!!! I mean when your Dick quits working and all you do is think about it all the time!
    LMAO! I was in my teens when it happened and it was like fucking torture being filled with the desire to orgasm and not being able to. I might have killed myself if I had a gun lying around.

Quote Originally Posted by TLLOYD View Post
    I Love Con-Air.
    Con-air rocks...... Nicholas Cage is a brilliant actor!!! Cameron Poe could whoop James Bonds butt!!!!!!
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

I don't even know the exact date I fucked my spine, actually it was only time til it happened... I live with uncertainty...

I love alot of things in my life. I can say that there are things I dont like as well. Life gets more complicated as you age as well. When I got my sci I was 34 and now I am 38 so things change a bit. I feel like I am 65 physically and 18 mentally. Really not a good combination. Life is good right now but it changes daily.

I love my life a million times more now then I did before my accident...maybe it was the fact that I had nothing going for me...I dropped out of college and was working and drinking all the time...after my accident I became very involved in sports and volunteering at the rehab I went to.

It has changed me physcially and mentally for the better
    T-7 Complete
    "If you don't like something, change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it."