Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David had surgery today

David had surgery today

Hi Everyone,
    I had written earlier about when David was in the hospital in June for a uti that when he got home, his healed sacral wound was now open again. They kept pulling him and shearing that area until it was broken down. They never said anything and I saw it when I got him home.
    He has been going to wound care and the doctor he saw was and is an ENT. He said David could have an infection on his tailbone but never pursued any tests or anything. I got in touch with his PCP who ordered an x-ray and David was in the hospital the following day.
    Today he had surgery for the infection which thankfully was just on the end of the bone. The surgeon took that piece off and smoothed the bone. He took all of the dead tissue out of the wound and then did a flap. Everything went well and two hours later David was sitting up eating a sandwich and soup. He is so happy it is over and that it went well for him. I am thankful the infection did not spread far into the bone and it was only on the end of it.
    How long does a sacral flap take to heal? Any rough ideas about how long he will be in the hospital? What else should we be aware of? This is new for me too as his care giver so any advice is appreciated. What is the usual regarding antibiotics? Thanks.
    DavesMom, Diane

I'm so sorry to hear about your son's treatment, but I'm glad he's doing better. Did the hospital acknowledge the wound in any way? I would have a conversation with the administration about this.

Hi Dave's Mom, I have no advice, but wanted to send you healing wishes.
    Sounds like things went as well as possible.

I have to express concern that he is sitting up with a sacral wound that has just been repaired. If I were in his situation, I would be on a Clinitron bed and off the wound.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

SCI. I am sorry that it sounded like he was actually sitting up. He wasn't up but just enough to eat and then back down again. He is on an eclipse bed that turns and is alternating air which is similar to what he has at home. It was actually a clinitron bed he was on in JUne that they opened up the wound on him. The doctor is having them put him mainly on his right side as he took the flap from the left side.
    Lepups, I did complain and of course they denied it. They didn't like it when I told them I kept him wound free over a year at home and they managed to undo that in 10 days. I think I am going to go higher than the one I dealt with because I know it had better not happen again. It was pure laziness on their part not to position him correctly and turn him regularly.

Thanks for the response. I am glad to hear that he was not sitting. I think we all need to raise hell every time these things happen all the way to the top. As for the nurses, you might suggest that they join CC where they could learn a lot.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Would be nice Sci but seems like they think they already know it all.

Smile

How long does a sacral flap take to heal? Any rough ideas about how long he will be in the hospital? What else should we be aware of? This is new for me too as his care giver so any advice is appreciated. What is the usual regarding antibiotics? Thanks.
    DavesMom, Diane[/QUOTE]

When I had my sacral flap done in 2004, I was in a clintron bed for 4 weeks (in the hospital). I think the norm for a person to lie in bed for 6-8 weeks. For antibotics, I was on IV antibotics (vancomycin) for about 8 weeks (I also had a severe bone infection). To be honest, the length of the time it has to be infused, would be up to the infectious disease doctor. I hope your son has a speedy recovery and feels better soon.

In my opinion, the longer he can stay off of it (minimum 6 weeks), the more success he'll have with the skin keeping its integrity.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Thanks everyone for the concern. I figured he would need to be in bed for a while and if that is what it takes, thats what it will be. I am so happy this thing is cleaned out and closed up. I want to make sure this flap heals for David as best as possible so he can start life again. He has had such a rough road these last 2 1/2 years as many of you had but things will get better. It really helps to be able to come here and know you are all here to help. I am so glad I pushed for the xray and the osteomyelistis was found early.
    DavesMom, Diane