Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: INFO ON 4AP

great news!

I just learned that the standardized version of 4AP, Fampridine-SR from Acorda, has had very positive results in their third clinical study with people having four types of MS. So it should be FDA approved soon! Wise, any thought on how long we'll have to wait? People, this will be much more effective and safe than 4AP for people whose myelin has been compromised and so most of us will also have positive results from it. I'm so excited!

For more info go to acorda.com.

Jan

Question 4ap

dr young,i requested some info from u thru ur mail.pls read n lemme know the answers.im sending again.
    dr.young,
    i read ur post on 4ap.i must say that it was a very exhaustive report i ever came through on the net.however i got worried when you mentioned that
    it has a short shelf life.i ordered a supply for 5 mths,being in india,its not possible for me to get it often as the cost of shipment and custom is very
    high.now i'm stuck with 3 mths supply of 30mg SR taken OD.as u mentioned,i want to take 10mg,immediate release q6h.do u advise that i get a
    fresh supply or supliment 30mg SR capsules with immediate release 10mg capsules.my sister in canada can get it shipped to her place and send it to
    india thru friends.pls advise me as i still believe that it can help improve my hand function.let me know the safest way to maximum dose u
    recommend.i'm also keen on Acorda formulation u mentioned.i,d prefer their SR formulation taken 20mg q12h.can i get it?
    as i mentioned earlier,theres marked improvement in autonomic function and spasticity.thx.djas

Quote Originally Posted by djas57
    dr young,i requested some info from u thru ur mail.pls read n lemme know the answers.im sending again.
    dr.young,
    i read ur post on 4ap.i must say that it was a very exhaustive report i ever came through on the net.however i got worried when you mentioned that
    it has a short shelf life.i ordered a supply for 5 mths,being in india,its not possible for me to get it often as the cost of shipment and custom is very
    high.now i'm stuck with 3 mths supply of 30mg SR taken OD.as u mentioned,i want to take 10mg,immediate release q6h.do u advise that i get a
    fresh supply or supliment 30mg SR capsules with immediate release 10mg capsules.my sister in canada can get it shipped to her place and send it to
    india thru friends.pls advise me as i still believe that it can help improve my hand function.let me know the safest way to maximum dose u
    recommend.i'm also keen on Acorda formulation u mentioned.i,d prefer their SR formulation taken 20mg q12h.can i get it?
    as i mentioned earlier,theres marked improvement in autonomic function and spasticity.thx.djas
    djas57,

I don't know the formulation that you are taking. That is part of the problem using compounded drugs. I am not sure what the compounded SR formulation is and what its shelf-life is. Fampridine SR from Acorda Therapeutic will not be available until it is approved by the FDA. This many not be for some time. If the dose is working for you, perhaps you should continue taking it and switch to the Fampridine SR when it becomes available.

Wise.

Question 4ap

thx dr young,shd i reduce the time interval from 24 hrs to 18 hrs.i am feeling that the drug's become less potent.
    the drug was compounded by college pharmacy as per my prescription,so it must be for od use

Quote Originally Posted by djas57
    thx dr young,shd i reduce the time interval from 24 hrs to 18 hrs.i am feeling that the drug's become less potent.
    the drug was compounded by college pharmacy as per my prescription,so it must be for od use
    I am not sure that I understand your abbreviations. What does OD mean. Once per day? Usually in the U.S., that is abbreviated as qd. Most SR (sustained release) formulations have lower biologic availability. In other words, because the drug is travelling down the gut, less of it is absorbed than the immediate release formulation (most of the absorption is occurring in the duodenum). Therefore, most SR formulation require higher dose and not lower doses.

I don't understand your OD and your taking of 30 mg OD. Let me explain why. Acorda Therapeutic's Fampridine SR formulation is taken twice a day (bid). Because the levels are much steadier and peak levels are not as high, Fampridine SR can be taken at nearly twice the dose, i.e. 40 mg bid. This is in contrast to the immediate release formulation where the recommended dose is 10 mg four time a day (10 mg qid).

Wise.

sorry about that.OD is once a day.thats how the Brits use this term.

i lost ur slide lecture on sci.pls tell me the link

Can someone give me a phonetic spelling of aminopyridine?

Just the pyridine part. I'm trying to get a local doc to write me a scrip, but am having trouble with the pronunciation of pyridine. It's hard enough just explaining why I want it.

Is it:

pire-a-deen
    pire-a-dine
    peer-a-deen
    peer-a-dine

thanks
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

pretty sure it's pronounced pir-a-deen.

edit... yup: http://dictionary.reference.com/sear...ary&q=pyridine
    Last edited by -scott-; 10-04-2006 at 09:08 PM.