Thread: CELLebrity Doctors Calendar 2011

CELLebrity Doctors Calendar 2011

Hans Keirstead on the cover!!

Dr. Hans Keirstead, University of California, Irvine (Mr. October and also gracing the calendar‘s cover), led his team of researchers to successfully develop a human embryonic stem cell derived treatment for acute spinal cord injury in rats, which was given permission earlier this year by the FDA to proceed with human clinical trials for acute spinal cord injury. The trial, currently underway by Geron Corporation, marks the first human embryonic stem cell trial ever approved in the United States.

"It is our goal,” stated Dr. Kierstead, “to develop treatments for spinal cord injury. Treatment after treatment...until wheelchairs are a thing of the past."

http://www.cellebritydocscalendar.com/

12 Medical Conditions and Top Doctors, One for EACH Month

Each month focuses on a medical condition on the stem-cell “treatable” list, including Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s, cancer, diabetes, heart disease and degenerative eye diseases. The photograph of the featured researcher is accompanied by a quote from him and a block of copy explaining his work.

“We wanted to feature them outside the lab, doing some hobby,” says Sabrina Cohen, 32, a stem-cell advocate who has been paralyzed since a 1992 car accident. “It’s a way of showing a different side of them.”

Read more

Nice work Sabrina!
    "it is not necessary to hope in order to persevere" ~ William of Orange

I've got one!

John
    "Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang

Me too!
    Karen M
    C 3/4 inc. central cord
    10/29/1992 - 18 years, but who counts?

I also have the CELLebrity calendar. Go Hans! Great job Sabrina.

Does anyone know what the UCI Africa Initiative is? I'm just curious as it was described in Dr Keirstead's bio.

Never mind. Google is my friend:

People in Africa suffering from malnutrition and disease will receive vitamins and wheelchairs thanks to a new UC Irvine group headed by neuroscientist Hans Keirstead.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I LOVE MY CALENDAR! I especially enjoyed reading the July: Dr Lanza succeeded in differentiating human embryonic stem cells into retinal pigment epithelium (RPE). He's seeking FDA approval to begin clinical trials to treat degenerative eye diseases. I believe I read somewhere he was going to start with children that lose their sight by age 5. It's exciting to read through the information for each month and see just how far the progress has gone. I enjoy seeing the faces of people that are changing the world for mankind. Did I say, I love my calendar?????????

2nd embryonic stem cell trial approved
    http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6AL0QT20101122

Quote:
    (Reuters) - The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved the second human trial of human embryonic stem cells -- this one testing cells in people with a progressive form of blindness, the company said on Monday.

Massachusetts-based Advanced Cell Technology said it would start testing its stem cell-based treatment on 12 patients with Stargardt's macular dystrophy.

It is the second trial of human embryonic stem cells to be approved by the FDA this year. Last month Geron Corp enrolled the first patient in its study using the cells in people whose spinal cords have been crushed.

"It is exciting -- a vindication. All this work really came through," said Dr. Robert Lanza, chief medical officer of the company, which has struggled to stay solvent as it gambled on the controversial cells.

http://blog.the-scientist.com/2010/1...a-nutshell-22/
    Quote:
    2nd embryonic stem cell trial approved

The FDA has approved a second clinical trial using human embryonic stem cells (hESCs). Massachusetts-based Advanced Cell Technology will use hESCs in an experimental therapy for 12 people with Stargardt’s macular dystrophy, a progressive form of blindness for which there is currently no treatment, Reuters reports. The company has coaxed hESCs into an eye tissue called retinal pigment epithelium (RPE) that Stargardt’s patients lack, which will be infused into patients’ eyes. “We can generate a virtually unlimited supply of healthy RPE cells,” the company’s chief medical officer, Robert Lanza, told Reuters.

Geron initiated the first hESC trial last month, treating severe spinal injury with ESC-derived progenitors of neural support tissue.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 12-20-2010 at 02:09 AM.