Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Quadriplegic Begs to Die, But Hospital Refuses

Quadriplegic Begs to Die, But Hospital Refuses

Quadriplegic Begs to Die, But Hospital Refuses
    Wisconsin's Froedtert Hospital Says Dan Crews, 27, Is Depressed, But He Says Life Isn't Worth Living

110 comments
    By SUSAN DONALDSON JAMES

Nov. 30, 2010

For the last 18 months, Dan Crews has been waging a battle to die, one that he is losing.

For the last 24 years -- since he was paralyzed at age 3 in a car accident -- Crews has been a quadriplegic, able to speak and eat, but not breathe on his own.

"Just imagine having your arms and legs strapped down 24 hours a day, seven days a week and not being able to do anything about it and not going anywhere," said the 27-year-old, who lives with his mother in Antioch, Ill.

"I have no friends," Crews told ABC News. "I have no education. No education prospects. No job prospects. I have no love prospects. All I want is to no longer live like this."

The Supreme Court ruled a decade ago that a person can refuse medical treatment -- provided they are competent. And that is the biggest hurdle for Crews.

read...

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/quadrip...ry?id=12274720

let him die, his choice.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I agree. If you wants to die and is of sound mind then its his choice.

I agree too. Life is great unless you have "NO QUALITY OF LIFE!" It probably crossed the mind of most of us at one time or another. Thinking of who you'd leave behind and the pain you would cause them. etc, etc. making it not worth it. I, however, believe that anyone of "sound mind" should have the right to leave this world if they want to...as long as they hurt no one else in the process.

I wouldn't do it, even though paralyzed and losing the use of my hands an arms more each week. But, others should have the "legal" choice to. I feel it is wrong to force a person to stay alive if they feel they no longer can take it. Maybe mandatory psych sessions to make sure that is truely what you, "in your right mind", want to do.

I am not encouraging anyone to do it...I'm just saying.
    "What has happened, has happened; What I am going through, I shall rise above; And what will come, I will meet with courage"~Hazrat Inayat Kahn

I say let him die also, but after reading the full article, I think all he needs is a good woman. Of course, poverty will make life nearly impossible for him, too.

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama

I think all he needs is to maintain his care at home. He is to become a ward of the state and the state says he belongs in a nursing home. Naturally feels like dying.

Yes, I am going to be predictable in my response. I think these stories always miss the point, that being that it is the quality of his life that is lacking because of lack of support services and other benefits that might allow him the freedom to be out in the world, meeting people, developing meaningful relationships of any type. As long as society allows the disabled to be shuffled off to nursing homes instead of spending tax dollars to actually give them a meaningful life people will continue to want to die. The question is if it is the paralysis itself that is unendurable, or the conditions they find themselves in because of the paralysis?

That's a tough one. I can't say I blame him with the way is life is right now.
    He should have the right to refuse treatment, but before it comes to that it would be good if because of this story some options are found.
    If he did well in school maybe there is a way he could return or somehow have more of a life.
    Sad it comes to this, but refusing treatment should be a right.

I pray all those around him denying him his choice break their necks or suffer miserably.

kinda reminds me of that doctor, kevorkan?
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan