Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: so, scheduled mammogram...

so, scheduled mammogram...

i've had one done at same hospital for yrs. i always inform them i'm in w/c (some techs freak when i show up and ask for help and who's with me). so the person on phone asks who's coming with me. i say nobody. she says who's gonna lift you, i say huh? lift me for a mammogram? so we get past that, schedule it.

then the dexascan. oh, you need to bring somebody, nobody at hosp allowed to help transfer...wtf? this is a freakin hospital, they've helped me many times. tons of ppl around. am small person. my own dentist helps get me in dental chr. GEESH. and my doc wonders why i hate to schedule tests.

Did you ask for a superviser or someone in charge?
    I seem to run into situations where the person answering the phone has no common sense or experience.
    Especially since you are a small person it seems like should not be a big deal.

Let us know how it goes, Cass. I hope for the best. This may be personal and you don't have to answer, but you don't feel any lumps that have you concerned, do you?

Cass, you feel a need for more pain in your life? Really come on now. They gotta be more professional than that. Good luck.....Actually on second thot... I'm available. I'll help hold things up for the mamogram......
    Last edited by fishin'guy; 12-01-2010 at 05:33 AM. Reason: spelchek

Grrrrrrrrrrr.....
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    Did you ask for a superviser or someone in charge?
    I seem to run into situations where the person answering the phone has no common sense or experience.
    Especially since you are a small person it seems like should not be a big deal.
    So true.Those that answer the phone may not have any idea whats involved.

Rarely do the people answering the phone have a clue about much of anything that involves actual medical care. I have my yearly mammo and while it takes a lot longer because of all of the positioning of the chair itself, no one has ever suggested that I needed someone with me. All the time is spent with "can you move the chair a little to the right, OK, now a little to the center" type of thing.

When I was consistently getting gi's, endoscopies & ultrasounds done, I wondered what people without husbands did. Those tables & beds are hella high!

Good luck w/ everything.

Good luck with the mammo Cass. I had my first one this year and it was not pleasant at all.

Like others have said most people answering the phone don't have good information.

I suspect the lifting is a liability issue for the hospital. It is a shame that it has come down to this kind of treatment of patients because they are afraid of getting sued by the patient or a workman's comp case from a no good employee wanting a reason to sit home and do nothing because they don't use proper lifting techniques. Not all workmans comp cases are this way but I have seen enough in my time that people do abuse the system.

Therefore, leaving people who need help without it.

Sorry I am on my unfortunate soapbox this morning(4AM nights tend to do that) LOL
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

I'm not sure I understand why there is talk of lifting. My mammo's are done in my chair, no lifting required. We have to be careful that the hydraulics don't come down and crush the joystick on my chair, and the positioning, as mentioned, can be time consuming, but I have never had to get out of my chair. They usually assign two techs to me. One to do the regular stuff like marking, but the other to help position my hands on the bars, or to fasten them there for the length of the imaging.