Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: D's Locks!

Question D's Locks!

I posted a couple weeks ago about some different rims and wheels I'm wanting to get! I DID, and I love them! I bought the Spinergy Spox everyday wheels, narrow hub. Black spokes silver hub.

So I'm wanting to get a set of the D's Locks brake system, I have read lots of good! I'm running the Spinergys with an Quickie GPV chair. I know this brake system will work for this chair type and set-up. Is anyone else running this braking system?? If so what you think of them durability wise, strength, reliability?

Very very good, just look at other posts on the subject. You will never go back. Never had to even adjust them after years of use. Surelocks are good too if you get Stephen's discount and if you like their "retro/prototype" lever look.
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

I have D's . . . sort of . . . I received my new chair Oct 26, which is when the DMES ordered my D's. When they arrived, they had ordered the wrong wheel adapter (for 32-spoke instead of 30-spoke wheels). They reordered, and the order arrived last Monday, but the DMES had returned the locking disks as well as the wrong spoke adapters. So now they are reordering the disks . . .

But I have remounted the pistons and lever (DMES mounted them poorly). (The lever is now mounted on my backrest where it's very easy to reach.) They mount nicely, and they work well. I did lube the cables and pistons with white lithium aerosol grease. The lever and piston actions are very smooth. One lever locks both wheels. It is soooo much friendlier than either the scissor locks (also installed on my chair for the interim) and the push to locks on my previous chair. I rarely use my scissors because they are hard to reach (not to mention slightly out of adjustment after only one month of infrequent use). I keep wanting to use the D's. They will lock against just the spokes (without the disk), but I think that's a bad idea, so I don't do it.

Before you order, determine where you want to mount the lever; the mounting hardware is very tube-size specific.

I've read that hub locks (D's & SureLocks) allow a locked chair to rock in pace a little, whereas traditional tire-squeeze locks don't let the chair move at all. Personally I don't think that's a big deal.

I currently have solid tires, but am switching to pneumatics very soon. The D's don't squeeze the tire, so I hope the pneumatics will maintain their pressure longer.

I'm very eager for the correct parts to arrive . . . (and my new tires - Schwalbe Marathon Plus Evolution Reflex).

Durability? they seem to be very well built. After this winter I'll know more.
    Strength? again, very well built. Yes, strong.
    Reliability? They have to be more reliable than tire-squeeze locks, which go out of adjustment frequently.

I'm not a long-term user, but I responded because I really like them so far, and wanted to share my rant on DMES service?!?!
    Last edited by chasmengr; 12-01-2010 at 02:17 AM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Yes it rocks a little and takes some getting used to ... but I would never go back to conventional brakes, ever.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by JGNI View Post
    Very very good, just look at other posts on the subject. You will never go back. Never had to even adjust them after years of use. Surelocks are good too if you get Stephen's discount and if you like their "retro/prototype" lever look.
    x2..........i prefer d's, very minimalistic and csteve is a great guy. ive had 4 chairs w/ them. a colours razorblade and 3 zr's. you get used to the rock w/ spinergy wheels i hear thats eliminated w/ like rb dino wheels............i cant believe reg brakes still exist, dangerous in my opinion
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    i hear thats eliminated w/ like rb dino wheels
    Someone that has Dino's tells me it's not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by jgni View Post
    someone that has dino's tells me it's not the case.
    really????????
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I have 3 wheelsets each of which has Surelock hub discs: Spinergy LX, Round Betty Dinos, and Rogue Tempests. Of the three sets, the wiggle is least pronounced on the Rogues, though it's insignificant in any of them. Spoke stiffness is only one factor. Other influencing factors are how the disc is coupled to the hub and how completely the piston engages the holes in the disc. None will ever feel as rock solid as fully inflated tires with tight brakes digging into them.

Going back to using conventional brakes would be like using an old-fashioned wicker wheelchair. One system is a constant source of headaches, the other delivers peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Other influencing factors are how the disc is coupled to the hub and how completely the piston engages the holes in the disc.
    So, is it the secret sauce of SureLocks?

Quote Originally Posted by JGNI View Post
    So, is it the secret sauce of SureLocks?
    Not so secret.