Thread: Spinal Stroke

Spinal Stroke

hi my name is karen and 2 weeks ago my husband had a operation but while he was in the operating theatre he had a spinal stroke he ca not walk and he has been left devastated ...wot i would like to no is will he walk again and wot are the treatments he his 42 and very healthy....when he was in the poerating threatre his blood preasure when very high could this off been the course.....

Karen, welcome to our forums. Please come back and ask more questions. We can help.

What are the doctors saying right now about his cord damage? They should be telling both of you a level of spinal cord injury and an ASIA or AIS category for completeness of injury. This is important information to have to make predictions about the future.

It is impossible to say at this time how much return he will get, or if he will be able to walk. Just as important (some feel more important) are return of other functions, such as bowel and bladder control and sexual functioning. With a vascular insult, some people do get significant return, a few full return, but many are left with significant disability.

Regardless, it is critical right now that he get into the best possible spinal cord injury (SCI) acute rehabilitation center. He has the postential to be totally independent in his self care, so has a lot to learn and will need to work hard in order to do this.

Where are you located? I am suspecting Canada or the UK due to some of the terms you used, but it would help if you could complete your profile. This would help us to identify appropriate resources for you.

(KLD)