Page 67 of 73 FirstFirst ... 175758596061626364656667686970717273 LastLast

Thread: How's the Weather?

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    The price of paradise is dealing with weather with a name. There's something called Isaac that's getting more of my attention than I would choose in a perfect world. I watch the National Hurricane Center's updates closely and study all the available data. In the Keys everyone is an amateur meteorologist. One thing we all know is that you don't know enough about a hurricane until it's no longer in existence.

As of the latest update, Isaac intends to knock on my front door.

Have you seen the model with Isaac's (from The Love Boat) head used to show the storm's eye? Hope it misses us both or better yet just fizzles out. Tomorrow is the 20th anniversary of Andrew.....good luck!
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by swh2007 View Post
    Have you seen the model with Isaac's (from The Love Boat) head used to show the storm's eye? Hope it misses us both or better yet just fizzles out. Tomorrow is the 20th anniversary of Andrew.....good luck!
    No, but that's pretty funny. Please post it if you have time.

I'm rooting for the mountains of Hispaniola, and later Cuba, to beat the shit out of Isaac. If Isaac gets to the hot water of the Florida Straits with any intensity, it won't be pretty.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Foolish, we are always prepared, monitor closely and learned many lessons after Frances and Jeanne in 2004 gave us a one, two punch. Even a glancing blow from a Cat 1 can be devastating. Although we live in Florida all east coast states need to be aware, hurricanes are so unpredictable. Heck, look what Irene did to the north east in 2011.

swh2007, our home is built to post Hurricane Andrew standards, another storm that the state of Florida learned a very hard and $$$ lesson from. May I ask what part if the state are you in?

Foolish do you have a mandatory evacuation and for what Catagory? I asume you are in a flood zone.

Eveyone be safe,
    Pam
    ps- we need to do a get together.

I tried to drive to turkey point the day after Andrew hit, couldn't make it, the further south I went the worse it got, drove through peoples yards over power lines, finally gave up and went to the cutler plant.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Princess - my land is fairly high for the Keys, and the house is rated for winds of 155 m.p.h., has metal shutters and sits in the tree tops on a tall concrete foundation. We do have mandatory evacuations, but residents aren't forced to leave. I believe that the County Commission makes the call on a storm by storm basis. The entire Emergency Management Operations apparatus in the Keys is world class. I have a lot of faith in them to do the best job possible. Of course, if you stay you have a responsibility to be prepared to fend for yourself. Folks here know the drill and pull together. They also know when it's time to head to Florida.

Yes, Andrew changed everything. You can still see how it effected Homestead.
    Foolish

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

The Hurricane became popular at Pat O'Briens bar in 1940's New Orleans, apparently debuted at the 1939 World's Fair and was named after the hurricane lamp-shaped glasses the first drinks were served in. It's said that O'Brien created the heavily rummed drink as a means to get rid of the large stock of rum his Southern distributors forced him to buy.

View Video: How to Make a Hurricane Cocktail
    Ingredients:

• 2 oz light rum
    • 2 oz dark rum
    • 2 oz passion fruit juice
    • 1 oz orange juice
    • juice of a half a lime
    • 1 Tbsp simple syrup
    • 1 Tbsp grenadine
    • orange slice and cherry for garnish
    Preparation:

1. Squeeze juice from half a lime into shaker over ice.
    2. Pour the remaining ingredients into the cocktail shaker.
    3. Shake well.
    4. Strain into a hurricane glass.
    5. Garnish with a cherry and an orange slice.

Foolish

hurricane party!, I'll bring lamp and some rum!
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

I'll bring the fruit, some more rum and cd player, gotta drop dem fat beats....

I was sorry to hear that Haiti would be affected. Most of those people are still in tents.

Good luck FO.

I do like watching the weather.....right now we have a small storm moving through and I'm out in the garage with a beer and the laptop. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Domosoyo View Post
    I was sorry to hear that Haiti would be affected. Most of those people are still in tents.

Good luck FO.

I do like watching the weather.....right now we have a small storm moving through and I'm out in the garage with a beer and the laptop. Love it.
    My heart goes out to the people of Haiti. As you might imagine, there is a very large Haitian community in Miami. The people of South Florida launched many a mission of relief following the earthquake and the help continues. The Haitians are the embodiment of indomitable human spirit.
    Foolish