Page 15 of 73 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242565 ... LastLast

Thread: How's the Weather?

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423 View Post
    I had to chuckle. We drove from the Boston area to Connecticut yesterday, just ahead of the storm.

Massachusetts had road signs up reading "Blizzard Warning .... DO NOT TRAVEL". Connecticut's road signs read "Slippery Conditions Possible, use caution."

Anyhow, luckily we didn;t lose power. Pretty nasty storm and still pretty windy today, but only a foot or so on the ground, although hard to tell because of the wind and drifts .... technically, anywhere from nothing to over 2 feet, depending on where you measure.

it really was wild here, and along the coast wilder still. Situate has had major problems with sea flooding, including two homes that burned to the ground because the salt water caused electrical arcing. In Quincy the shore drive was closed at high tide (middle of the night) and people had to be evacuated by boat because the ocean was pounding their houses and the roadway only opened later today after the highway crews pushed the boulders and debris the sea threw up out of the way. Problems too in Cape Ann with flooding and the ocean breaching the protective walls! I am lucky to be two blocks inland, a critical difference in last nights high tide time.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    it really was wild here, and along the coast wilder still. Situate has had major problems with sea flooding, including two homes that burned to the ground because the salt water caused electrical arcing. In Quincy the shore drive was closed at high tide (middle of the night) and people had to be evacuated by boat because the ocean was pounding their houses and the roadway only opened later today after the highway crews pushed the boulders and debris the sea threw up out of the way. Problems too in Cape Ann with flooding and the ocean breaching the protective walls! I am lucky to be two blocks inland, a critical difference in last nights high tide time.
    It was pretty wild here too eileen. I'm glad you didn't lose your electric, that was my fear too. Unfortunately thousands still out. Hope the kitties slept thru the whole thing and are still oblivious On a note, my guy finally broke down and used his pan after 24 hours of being in the house. He goes out usually and in as he sees fit. He is a momma's boy but loves to go out and rough house and prefers to do his "business" outside, such a male thing

Quote Originally Posted by marycsm77 View Post
    It was pretty wild here too eileen. I'm glad you didn't lose your electric, that was my fear too. Unfortunately thousands still out. Hope the kitties slept thru the whole thing and are still oblivious On a note, my guy finally broke down and used his pan after 24 hours of being in the house. He goes out usually and in as he sees fit. He is a momma's boy but loves to go out and rough house and prefers to do his "business" outside, such a male thing
    I am fortunate in that my sister kitties only know a box, so snow, wind, or rain, their "toilet" remains the same. I did see them climbing to the top of their carpet tree several times in the wee hours, memorized by the snow swirling in great circles. I have a covered balcony, but you would never know it from the amount of snow out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I was following the news about Scituate .... that is where our family is. This was another one of those storms that make us glad we DON'T have a house on the shore! Both families live on the west (inland) side of town. In fact that is where we were leaving from, trying to beat the storm home.

It was pretty much a hurricane, only cold.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Seems like NYC sanitation department is getting a big fat "F" for snow removal.

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423 View Post
    I was following the news about Scituate .... that is where our family is. This was another one of those storms that make us glad we DON'T have a house on the shore! Both families live on the west (inland) side of town. In fact that is where we were leaving from, trying to beat the storm home.

It was pretty much a hurricane, only cold.
    Even today, with the storm safely out to sea, Scituate is having major flooding problems. They showed one poor woman who had come back to get her cat today, but could not stay in her house because of water and power loss. I drove the length of my beach today and there are major boulders that washed up and over the sea wall. Mom nature is very impressive when she has one of these hissy fits!

Do you always have a storm when the snow is coming? I have seen a snowstorm once. Usually the snow is coming down slowly and silent for hours and hours and sometimes days.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Where I live the wind can blow so hard that when it snows you can't see a few feet in front of your car.
    Other times it falls silently for hours.

That is good, I prefer the snow falling silently.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Complete mixed bag over the next few days:

Wednesday:
    -1°C and flurries

Thursday:
    5°C/-1°C and rain

Friday:
    8°C/6°C and raining on New Year's Eve!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12