Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sewing machine foot peddle alternative - mouth operated variable switches ????

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete

Sewing machine foot peddle alternative - mouth operated variable switches ????

Figuring someone must have figured this out.

Anyone out there managed to adapt the foot peddle of a sewing machine, so someone with no foot control can operate a sewing machine and still have two hands free to manipulate the material being sewed etc.

My initial thoughts are some kind of mouth operated switch, but for those that have never used an electric sewing machine, the switch has to be variable, the harder you would bite down the switch the faster the machine goes. Similar to an electric drill.

thoughts?

Singer makes a machine that is controlled with a bite switch. It has a speed selection on it. Me, the thought of what a 110 volt shock to the mouth doesn't sound too appealing.

Some machines have a speed selector with push button off and on switches. I've used one with no problem.

Thanks for the lead.

A Byte switch ! apparently uses air, so no worries about any electricity in the mouth.

http://www.bedhandles.com/ByteSwitch1.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Brent K View Post
    Singer makes a machine that is controlled with a bite switch. It has a speed selection on it. Me, the thought of what a 110 volt shock to the mouth doesn't sound too appealing.

Some machines have a speed selector with push button off and on switches. I've used one with no problem.

--- CUSTOM ADAPTATION --- PURPOSE: To enable an individual with quadriplegia to operate a sewing machine. A plywood box was built to house the sewing machine foot pedal. Built into the box was a hinged flap and an inflatable blood pressure cuff attached to a plastic tube. The existing spring on the foot pedal was replaced by a weaker spring that is just strong enough to allow the pedal to return to the off position. When the user blows into the tube, she inflates the blood pressure cuff which presses on the hinged flap which, in turn, depresses the pedal. Once the machine is at the desired speed, the user blocks the air tube with her tongue to keep the machine at the desired speed. To stop the machine, she simply removes her tongue. TITLE: Painting and Sewing Aids. JOURNAL: TAD Journal. REF: Volume 24, Number 4, Summer 2004: p. 8-10. PAGES: 4 (including cover).
    http://www.abledata.com/abledata.cfm...discontinued=0

That's neat. Didn't realize that it was pneumatic actuated. When I saw the bite switch I assumed that it was electrical. The touch button to start and stop model, for me was fairly easy to use. You can select the speed that it works at, slow is generally all I use, for my own safety factor. The switch is fairly close to the needle.

I have a sewing machine that I use by strapping the foot pedal under my chin with a sling, then I operate the pedal by squeezing it between my chin and the top of my chest/bottom of my neck. The sewing machine is one I bought second hand for five pounds in the mid 1990's and the adaption cost me nothing. This works fine for me.

I use my elbow.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

I like the ingenuity ... I 'll have to try this.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    I have a sewing machine that I use by strapping the foot pedal under my chin with a sling, then I operate the pedal by squeezing it between my chin and the top of my chest/bottom of my neck. The sewing machine is one I bought second hand for five pounds in the mid 1990's and the adaption cost me nothing. This works fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by offroaderswife View Post
    I use my elbow.
    Thanks for the tip.
    I was doing this, but it didn't work well enough, and i just got really frustrated.

If you have a pedal that is kind of stiff to use, you can reduce the amount of pressure needed by removing the compression/coil spring or replace with a weaker spring.