Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody else put the Placard on the drivers window when no HP spots available?

Does anybody else put the Placard on the drivers window when no HP spots available?

As most of us know a lot of the time the HP spots are taken, so what I do when I park in a regular spot (try to park to the far right of spot to give my drivers door room to swing wide) is put the HP Placard on the inside window. Seems to help some, although not always as some people don't notice it. Does anybody else do this. Hopefully I won't get a ticket or anything for doing this, like misuse of a HP Placard or something? Has not happened as of yet... I just figure it's worth a shot to lower my chances of having someone parking right next to my drivers door so I can't get in the car.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Some times, when NL parks the van in a regular parking space to allow room for my van ramp (usually encroaching on the next parking space), she will place the placard in the rider's side window. When we come back to the van, the next space is not taken and the van hasn't been keyed for encroaching on the next space.

All the best,
    GJ

When visiting my son, he was preparing to park in a regular spot after letting me out and asked for the card. Why I asked, that is an ordinary slot. "I know," he said, "but that card covers me for anything else I might do wrong." He does design parking lots as part of his ADA employment.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

when I take up two spaces because no HC spots are open I usually display my placard. I usually park pretty far out because I do not want to take up two spaces that people would actually want to park in

Unless the spots are really narrow I normally don't even need to take up two spots, the main reason for putting the placard in the window is so hopefully the person who parks next to me won't park over the line and block me in. The doors are not too wide on the car. I just hate it though when someone parks over the line and like 6 inches from my car. I guess in a case like that I should probably just call the cops and have them issue a ticket to the car that's over the line. I don't like to risk having anyone else pull my car out as it's a fear of mine they will accidently hit the hand controls and take off and crash the car, plus not crazy about having a stranger drive my car to start with. A friend of mines car got crashed this way, so I avoid it at all costs.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I bought a magnet from cafe press the size of a bumper sticker (I didn't want a huge obnoxious one) that says "wheelchair Access" in big letters, followed. Belowby slightly smaller "Please Do Not Block" and below that slightly smaller "Thank You!" with a disability sign next to it. I have a disability plate instead of placard with my minivan. I haven't been blocked yet, but ironically the first day I used it I nearly was, after getting in my van my phone rang and while answering it someone pulled in halfway across the cross hatching in the other disabled space (for his wife I assume, but he could have back in to ensure the space was on the correct side). If I'd come out 2 minutes later I wouldn't have been able to get in.

I also had someone in a power chair ask me where I'd gotten it. I designed it myself with that option on Cafe press because I hadn't seen one with the exact wording I wanted, and I used the picture where the wheelchair looks in motion so to speak. The more "active" wheelchair disabled symbol.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

We have full sized van with lift at side door...need lots of space to get out. Recently got 2 orange cones then used them to occupy two spaces.

Parked in a handicap space at the mall and had someone park next to me over the hash marks. There was barely room for my chair between ouour vehicles. Mall cops wouldn't even site the other vehicle. It was a very difficult transfer and I felt really bad about all of their car paint that ended up on my wheelchair. Sometimes nothing fixes stupid.

Lol, I love the way you phrased that even if you didn't mean it that way. You said felt bad about the car paint that ended up on your chair, like you felt bad about your chair but not their car. At this point thats how I'd feel, pissed about my chair and not their car. I know I've only worried about my chair when assholes have parked illegally (like across the cross hatching) and I had to scrape or bang into them to get back in my vehicle. I don't know what I'm going to do the first time I'm completely blocked. And I don't even get out or go places that often, so I'm sure people run into crap much more than me. I mostly go to Drs appts and don't drive myself there. I'm getting a wheelchair lift soon (the paperwork process is taking forever) and I think once I have the lift I'll need more space than right now loading myself. I worry about that, the times I barely scrape in right now what am I going to do with the lift.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Blog Entries
    If I can get my ramp down, I can usually get in to my van, though I might scrape the paint on the offending car. If it is too close, I ask a passerby to back the van out for me. Mall cops that I have talked to are absolutely useless as far as enforcing HP spots, and I have sometimes seen their little pickups parked in a HP spot or the hashed area.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury