Thread: In Horrible Pain for 4 Days

Unhappy In Horrible Pain for 4 Days

Hello there, I was searching for comparisons between lyrica and neurontin when I stumbled across this site. I do not have a sci, but do suffer from Fibromyalgia. I have nerve pain that ranges from mild discomfort to crippling pain, but for the past four days I've been in the worst, most excruciating pain I've ever felt. I've felt like knives and nails were being driven into my spinal cord, my skin was so sensitive that I have been unable to bear touch or clothing on my skin, and even laying in bed has been hell. I've been to the doctor twice and the ER once, and I'm still in pain.

I'm taking 400 mg of Gabapentin a day, and I am working up to 1200 (though I've only been on a regiment of 200 daily so far until this pain started). I have percocet (which works if I take 2) and valium (which has done nothing), and I'm terrified. I'm only 18, and nothing short of 650 mg of percocet can help my pain? I feel like a drug addict already, but I hate the feeling that so much medication gives me. I hate being dependant on something like that, but I've been so depressed because of the pain. I can't imagine living like this...it's ruining my life once again, as it has before.

What can I do about the pain? I go to massage therapy and sometimes to yoga (when I'm not in too much pain, or else I can't do much) and try and stay active. I try to eat healthy and get enough sleep, but I work nights (and I'm young!) I feel like my fibromyalgia controls my life, and that it always will and I HATE it.
    ~For Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we are still just able to endure, and we are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.~

Quote Originally Posted by princessaria View Post
    Hello there, I was searching for comparisons between lyrica and neurontin when I stumbled across this site. I do not have a sci, but do suffer from Fibromyalgia. I have nerve pain that ranges from mild discomfort to crippling pain, but for the past four days I've been in the worst, most excruciating pain I've ever felt. I've felt like knives and nails were being driven into my spinal cord, my skin was so sensitive that I have been unable to bear touch or clothing on my skin, and even laying in bed has been hell. I've been to the doctor twice and the ER once, and I'm still in pain.

I'm taking 400 mg of Gabapentin a day, and I am working up to 1200 (though I've only been on a regiment of 200 daily so far until this pain started). I have percocet (which works if I take 2) and valium (which has done nothing), and I'm terrified. I'm only 18, and nothing short of 650 mg of percocet can help my pain? I feel like a drug addict already, but I hate the feeling that so much medication gives me. I hate being dependant on something like that, but I've been so depressed because of the pain. I can't imagine living like this...it's ruining my life once again, as it has before.

What can I do about the pain? I go to massage therapy and sometimes to yoga (when I'm not in too much pain, or else I can't do much) and try and stay active. I try to eat healthy and get enough sleep, but I work nights (and I'm young!) I feel like my fibromyalgia controls my life, and that it always will and I HATE it.
    Princessaria,

I am very sorry that you have fibromyalgia and are having this pain. I am not as familiar with fibromyalgia as neuropathic pain after spinal cord injury but presumably the drug effects should be similar.

Amitriptyline. For people who have spinal cord injury, the first line of analgesic drugs (drugs that reduce pain) is amitriptyline (Elavil). This tricyclic antidepressant works by increasing the amount of neurotransmitter levels in the brain. While it was first developed for combatting depression, the doses that are used for neuropathic pain are much lower, on the order of 20 mg/day compared to 75-100 mg/day for depression. It takes the edge of the pain and may help with the "burning" pain that some people experience but apparently does little to prevent the sharp and lancinating type pains.

Gabapentin. This is an anti-epileptic drug (commercial name Neurotin) that was found to have some effects on neuropathic pain about ten years ago. The problem is that the brain accommodates to this drug quite rapidly and the dose has to be increased to as high as 3000-4000 mg per day. Many people cannot tolerate the drug at these doses. However, for some people, it works and does reduce neuropathic pain.

Pregabalin. This is another anti-epileptic drug (commercial name Lyrica) that may be effective for neuropathic pain and is frequently used to treat fibromyalgia. Approved only in 2004, less is known about the side-effects of this drug and the dosing required for neuropathic pain. It apparently is also effective for anxiety and was approved for anti-anxiety use in Europe. In 2007, the U.S. FDA approved this drug for treatment of fibromyalgia pain.

Acetaminophen. The commercial name is of course Tylenol. This is probably the most popular analgesic drug in the world and many people take it for headaches. Its mechanism of action was not clear for a long time. Recent studies suggest that Tylenol increases the release and reduces the uptake of brain cannabinols. These are endogenous factors that act like tetrahydrocannabinol, the active ingredient of marijuana. The problem with acetaminophen is that one should not take high doses of the drug for long periods because the drug is toxic the liver. However, over a short-term period of 4 days or so, you might consider taking acetaminophen. The "extra-strength" Tylenol contains 500 mg per tablet and you should not exceed 8 tablets during a 24 hour period. Many studies have shown that acetaminophen is synergistic with other analgesic drugs.

Duragesic. Opioid drugs, including Percocet (which includes Tylenol), morphine, and fentanyl, are effective for neuropathic pain of all types. Your body, however, accommodates to opioid drugs by downregulating the opioid receptors and you have to take more and more of the drugs until the side-effects of the drug (such as constipation and drowsiness) become intolerable. The well-known opioid drugs of course have a fearsome reputation because they are often abused. However, they have a long history of safe use and can make life with fibromyalgia tolerable. One approach that some people use is fentanyl patches. Fentanyl is one of the most potent narcotic. It can be applied to the skin to give a constant baseline dose and you could then add other analgesic drugs to treat breakthrough pain. Yes, you do become addicted in the sense that you go through withdrawal if you stop the drug. But, this is true for many other drugs as well. The goal is to treat your pain to the point where you can live your life. Duragesic is the commercial name for the fentanyl patch made by Johnson & Johnson. While there are generic fentanyl patches made by other manufacturers, I have heard that there are significant variability in the quality and efficacy of the fentanyl patches. This is something that others on this site can probably tell you about. One advantage of a skin patch is that the drug doesn't have to be ingested and therefore has less side-effects on your gut.

I hope that this is helpful. Other people can tell you their experience with other drugs.

Wise.

I also have fibromialgia and Have had two ACL surgeries on both my knee, I'm new to this site today any feed back on this site would be greatly appreciated..I am also young 24.. I am prescribed Fentanyl patches for my pain,, And they work wonders. They are patches that release 50 micromiligrams an hour. micromilis instead of milis because Fentanyl is 100 times more potent than morphine. I love the patches, because in take one and am good for 48 hours, some people are good form 72. The fentanyl is release every hour wich is what someone with chronic pain really wants,, not this percocet BS wich last30 minutes to an hour and a half if you take 8. and they are also very bad on the liver,, The patch just goes into the blood and bypass' the kidneys and liver.. ask your doctor abut Fentanyl,,, help me with feedback too if you can,, to how i can post stuff

HELLO, WHY DON'T YOU TRY ACUPUNCTURE. A LOT OF PEOPLE THAT I KNOW SAY IT HELPED THEM A LOT. BUT YOU HAVE TO DO IT FOR A MONTH Three TIMES A WEEK. GOOD LUCK. oHH also make sure you find a very good therapist the one that has a lot of experience

Probably the last thing you wanna hear is excersise, when you get to feeling a bit better, thena lite regimen, like with paralysis, you gotta work out the rest a your life.