Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone else feel/felt this way?

Question anyone else feel/felt this way?

I don't know if pain is the forum to post this, but I couldn't figure out a better option. I've been a t-6 para for almost 10 years now.. For the last couple months I have been completely exhausted and totally unmotivated to do much of anything. Normally, this can be contributed to ongoing UTI's, but the last few months my weekly urine cultures have grown out NOTHING.. Upon assortment of blood tests it was determined I am extremely depleted in Iron, and B12... which explains the exhaustion, but it was also discovered that my C-reactive protein and Erythrocyte sedimentation rate were both abnormally elevated, both which indicate and infection somewhere. I have also noticed that my leg has been spasming more, and every time I eat I get uncontrollable cold, even though it is about 76 degrees in my house..

Being a para everything seems to be a guessing game with doctors, but yet, my dr. will listen to me. So I am asking anyone (particular Dr. Wise and the SCI nurses) what else I (via my dr) should be looking for.

I know when something isn't right. Every time something has gone on with me, I know when things just aren't right.. usually I have a pretty good idea what it is.. This time.. I am totally lost as to what... Anyone have any idea?

oh and if there is a better place for this post, please let me know
    Last edited by frogii; 12-01-2010 at 10:36 PM.

any sores? osteomylytis??
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Hey frogii,
    I think you have to look at your legs for occult blood clots, maybe get an ultrasound there. Then you would have to wonder if your spinal hardware has been seeded with some hidden infection.

Like fuentejps says, you have to look for any break in your skin. I think some cardiac conditions lead to elevations of both CRP and sed rate. If nothing is found, I wonder if recurring UTIs give you that elevation.

If your doc is looking for ideas, possibly consider seeing an Infectious Disease Doc....

Period?
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

bowel OK?
    I get constipated, even though I still seem to have good daily results if seems to creep up slowly and the indicator is my left leg spasm's more and more.
    A few days of double dosages of Movicol (normally take 1/2 to 1/day) get things moving and I feel much better and the spasms subside.

Maybe you have an internal infection in there that you cannot see, Diverticulitis, appendicitis,

If it's not obvious it does not mean it's not there!

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    any sores? osteomylytis??

nope skin is great everywhere..

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Hey frogii,
    I think you have to look at your legs for occult blood clots, maybe get an ultrasound there. Then you would have to wonder if your spinal hardware has been seeded with some hidden infection.

Like fuentejps says, you have to look for any break in your skin. I think some cardiac conditions lead to elevations of both CRP and sed rate. If nothing is found, I wonder if recurring UTIs give you that elevation.

If your doc is looking for ideas, possibly consider seeing an Infectious Disease Doc....
    no swelling my legs, which would be indicative of a clot. spinal hardware, possible, but wouldn't that be unlikely 9 years later? I also just had back xrays about 3 months ago..

cardiac condition is interesting, except up until a couple months ago, I have been more active than ever.. but I will ask my dr about that.

my dr. is an internal med dr.. but again, I will ask her about consulting with infectious disease.. thanks for the ideas..

Quote Originally Posted by Liz321 View Post
    Period?
    what about it? I actually only have my period every 3 months, cause I don't want to deal with it.. so, iron deficient due to heavy periods, isn't a concern. lol sorry guys.. not your fav topic..

is there something else I've over looking? I did read that birthcontrol pills can elevate your CPR

Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh Colin View Post
    bowel OK?
    I get constipated, even though I still seem to have good daily results if seems to creep up slowly and the indicator is my left leg spasm's more and more.
    A few days of double dosages of Movicol (normally take 1/2 to 1/day) get things moving and I feel much better and the spasms subside.

Maybe you have an internal infection in there that you cannot see, Diverticulitis, appendicitis,

If it's not obvious it does not mean it's not there!

yeah.. that is exactly what I am afraid of. Dr. did mention possible GI infection which could explain poor B12 absorption... bowls are normal, which is actually a little strange considering I am taking iron supplements, which are known to cause constipation. I have never taken stool softeners, which I am assuming is what Movicol is...the spasms don't bother me.. just is out of the norm..

thank you everyone for your suggestions....being paralyzed really is an anomaly.. lol usually I know what is wrong, and the challenge is just convincing the dr.s I am right, and they should confirm in proper procedures (ie. broken leg.. took 10 days to get any dr to take an xray).... but this time.. I'm really at a loss at what is going on.. I have had constant thoughts of getting appendicitises, and how would we know... but I would imagine if it was that, I'd be dead by now, with as long as I haven't felt good. I think a burst appendix is pretty fatal after a week, let alone a couple months.. ugh.. I welcome the suggestions though...thanks again