Thread: half marathon in daily chair... freewheel? casters??

Question half marathon in daily chair... freewheel? casters??

hi there,
    i am going to do a half marathon here in Dubai (UAE) next week, and would like to get some advice from your folks.

does anyone have experience with daily chair half marathons? (i have a S1 Tilite ZRA)...

- should i go with or without my freewheel?
    - if without freewheel... which casters? 3"-4" or 5" softrolls?
    - shall i change my bearings (a few days) before the race? on what? my casters or my wheels?
    - shall i , in the interest of weight, take out my push rims?
    - 4deg or 6deg axel?
    - i know it is only a 2 hour race... but what about peeing? foley cath?
    any further advice?

thanks a lot for your help.

chris

Use the Freewheel if you can do hills well with it. Try some hills with Freewheel and use it in training enough to know how shoulders will react to distance with Freewheel. Without Freewheel, you may do an endo after hitting a pavement crack at speed.

Quote Originally Posted by ckhouri View Post
    hi there,
    i am going to do a half marathon here in Dubai (UAE) next week, and would like to get some advice from your folks.

does anyone have experience with daily chair half marathons? (i have a S1 Tilite ZRA)...

- should i go with or without my freewheel?
    - if without freewheel... which casters? 3"-4" or 5" softrolls?
    - shall i change my bearings (a few days) before the race? on what? my casters or my wheels?
    - shall i , in the interest of weight, take out my push rims?
    - 4deg or 6deg axel?
    - i know it is only a 2 hour race... but what about peeing? foley cath?
    any further advice?

thanks a lot for your help.

chris
    A friend of mine did his first NYC Marathon in his ZRA. He uses a racing chair now.

I don't know whether he did any special prep to his chair prior to the race -- I didn't know him then -- but I doubt it.

As for peeing, when I race I try to cath as close to the starting time as possible and I do it from my handcycle. Do your best to be discreet.

When I did a 10K in my daily chair, my biggest problem was caster flutter on the downhills. This despite changing the bearings out.

Still, it kept me going slow enough so that I didn't wipe out runners.

Caster flutter can be fixed by tightening the bolt in your caster housing (not on the caster wheel) - the part that controls the yaw of the wheel. It should be tight enough that it stops immediately when you flick it with your finger.

Freewheel - I haven't used a Freewheel, so I can't answer to that. If you think the added weight is worth the benefits, then yeah.
    Casters - I'd go with the largest and firmest possible. Large to get through bumps and cracks at speed - firm to decrease rolling resistance.
    Bearings - no need to change, really. Just grease 'em up.
    Handrims - do whatever you think will be most comfortable to push over 10k.

Good luck - let us know how it goes.

I did the Seattle 1/2 Marathon in a regular chair quite a few years ago. All those hills - oh my!

I would definitely use a FreeWheel since you have one. It will help with terrain, and quite likely provide you with a smoother ride (and definitely can go downhill faster & more stable).

Good luck!

hey folks. i used the freewheel just because it makes it easier to go up and down sidewalks.
    2:30 is not a really good time, but for my first it is ok.
    next one in Jan... so better train hard.

Nice job, Chris!