Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: neuropathic pain in "feeling" areas

Unhappy neuropathic pain in "feeling" areas

hi there, is there anybody who also has neuropathjic pain in their feeling areas?
    i am a T6 complete and suffer from neuropathic pain in my belly, my legs, my testies, my toes and my back... but also in my elbow (right) and my left armpit.
    the pain in the elbow and armpits are probably by far the most constant, annoying and painful. it's needles and fire and burning and tightness and all the crap that NPP has to offer.
    i am on lyrica (3x150) and cymbalta (2x60), but it does not seem to help much in the non paralysed areas...

anybody has the same or am i just plain weird??

ck

nope.. I am also T6 complete.. I have constant pain in my left leg, foot and butt. my right calf the pain is sporadic. I don't have nerve pain in unparalyzed place, but do have just normal wear and tear pain. So no.. I wouldn't say you are weird, the nerve pain in your elbow and armpit is something I have never heard of before, so I can't comment on that..

I personally tried the Neurotin right after my accident. After about 9 months of trying it I began realizing it just made me stupid, but the pain was the same on or off it. So I decided to stop it. And now, unless I am consciously thinking about it, ie. talking about it. I don't really notice the pain so much...

lol on that note.. I NEED to stop talking about it now.. owie..

My daughter has a T1 injury but has started complaining of a tightness and tingling in her right arm from wrist to elbow and we can't get to the bottom of it. She can normally feel most of this arm except inner side . Because it doesnt cover a specific dermatome they feel it is neuropathic but this isnt commom in children and she doesn't have it anywhere else.Recommendations have ranged from EMG testing to repeat MRI ( as there was a query of a syrinX) to starting on lyrica but it doesnt happen often and just the knowing that is likely neuropathic and happens has kind of made it less distressing for her. Good luck with your investigations.

i have feeling to my toes. and neuropathic pain to my toes.

Quote Originally Posted by noirin's mum View Post
    My daughter has a T1 injury but has started complaining of a tightness and tingling in her right arm from wrist to elbow and we can't get to the bottom of it. She can normally feel most of this arm except inner side . Because it doesnt cover a specific dermatome they feel it is neuropathic but this isnt commom in children and she doesn't have it anywhere else.Recommendations have ranged from EMG testing to repeat MRI ( as there was a query of a syrinX) to starting on lyrica but it doesnt happen often and just the knowing that is likely neuropathic and happens has kind of made it less distressing for her. Good luck with your investigations.

This probably will sound trivial, but try giving her a massage. My hands go to sleep all the time.. a lot when I am sleeping... drs have done all sorts of tests, including hooking electrodes up to my run thru my wrists to test for carpel tunnel.. Nothing came back indicating the problem. But I will swear up and down, that MOST of my pain comes from my muscles being so darn tight in my neck and shoulders, and when I get consistent massages my hands stop falling asleep including the intense pain that follows when they start waking up. High paras use their head for stability and balance.. and therefore you are constantly tightening your neck muscles.. not to mention our life now revolves around over using our arms... My theory, although not confirmed... is the tight muscles clench up around the nerves, that run from our neck down to our hands, and that muscle tightness contributes to the pain, in my case, my hands. If you don't want to give you a massage... Buy her a gift certificate to a massage therapist. A lot of places will let her stay in her chair, if she feel more comfortable there.

This might not solve the problem.. but if it does.. its such an easy fix.. good luck!

I am T3-T4 complete and I have pain from the point of no feeling to my toes. I also have hypersensitivity from my point of feeling to the top of my head.

My hands fall asleep as well and I have come to the conclusion that it is the nerve that runs from the neck and weaves it way through the shoulder and to my fingers. I find if I grab my knees and sit up straight and pull my head back and my chine in so my neck is in the right position (ask someone to tell you when, it feels like your neck is in a strange position) the numbness will go away. you can even do the neck thing in bed laying down and it will go away as well. I had a physical therapist figure it out one day.

Sometimes my back (shoulder) itches, but the spot that itches I can not reach, so I ask someone to scratch and I get no relief.

My quality of life would be so much better if it were not from this constant pain.

ckhouri

Yours is a most interesting post. It raises all kinds of questions about central pain. I am not a good comparison, as I am numb everywhere, and feel only burning to touch, so I have no areas which are not affected as to superficial sensibilities, although some areas such as C4 have less loss of normal touch than others.

If you had neuropathic pain BELOW your injury, we would just say the signal is being distorted as it rises in the cord and tries to pass. But having pain ABOVE your injury is very thought provoking.

We must ask if something is going on in the brain circuitry with you. When dislocated pain occurs out in the areas of altered sensation, the term is "ephapse", thought possibly related to Marshall Devor's finding of "crossed afterdischarge". Now you suggest there may be a central equivalent of this. There is no medical term for this, but there quite possibly ought to be. You can read about crossed afterdischarge in the text, "The Axon", or you can read about it for free at David's site, painonline.org.

thank you for posting as it alerts us to anatomical mechanisms of which we have not been formerly aware.

Do you have any visceral pain, such as in your internal organs, like nausea, gut pain or whatever, which seems unusual to you, ie of a nature not to be expected?

If it is not too personal, how did you acquire your injury?

Do you have muscle cramping or something like it, in the areas outside your injury which are displaying neuropathic pain symptoms? What brings on the pain in these unexpected areas, what relieves it, how long does it last, what makes it worse? Is is there all the time, ie spontaneous, or does something happen to make it appear, ie evoked.

Not to be negative, but I think many doctors would begin to consider the possibility of a syrinx up higher to bring on these symptoms. That can be ruled out with a CT or MRI (no fun I can tell you for sure--they injected contrast in me right at the base of the skull--awwgh). Talk to your doctor and see what he says.

The cord has a small canal in the middle of it in which circulates cerebrospinal fluid.

No one knows for sure what causes a syrinx, but presumably some injury softens cord, allowing the pulsations of the CSF which come from the heart beating, to slowly swell the size of the canal in that area. The extra size of the pocket can then reach other cord areas. Oversimplification but you get the idea. This would raise a question of whether your complete injury lower down was accompanied by some less obvious injury higher up.
    Last edited by dejerine; 12-02-2010 at 02:39 PM.

ckhouri, sorry seems like i kind of hijaked your post but hope froggi's reply was helpful to you too.
    Froggi: Will def massage but i am sure she would love the novelty of a massage parlour.
    Never thought of overuse of neck/'high back muscles in keeping her upright and balanced but def makes sense-think you have found prob as well as possible entrapment at night.
    See you are into handcycling_way to go! Met Irish gold medal winner couple of months back- really inspired Noirin.
    Stevie P: Thanks for your input-glad to know she is not alone in experiencing this. I go along with the entrapment idea too and for that reason try to change her position at night and not use pillows. Will def give the chin tuck a go as even when i have a tense neck it helps so why not? Good to see you have a common sense PT!
    Dejerine: You seem to have such an indepth knowledge. THanks for sharing.

@dejerine: wow, thanks for the explanation...
    defenitely going to investigate further. i would love to see a doc about this, but i dont really know what type of doc to visit. is it my neurosurgeon, my neurologist or someone else... any advice.
    i am 1.5years post injury that i go thru a motocross accident.
    the pain is almost constant, although it peaks in the evening or when i get spasms in my belly / legs (specially when i lie down, then i get sudden spasms, and it spikes in my elbow and armpits as if someone was poking me with a knife whilst burning me and electrocuting me all at the same time... that lasts for upto 3 minutes, then subsides...
    i massage it and hold it tight... it helps, but not really much...

i will do some research, if uyou hve further advice, please dont hesitate..

chris

chris

A neurosurgeon is not likely to know about central pain.

A neurologist is more likely, but the majority have little training in central pain.

I would do an internet search for some pain clinic. If there is none where you are, then you would perhaps go to a big medical center and ask the department of neurology if anyone specializes in pain. Some anethesiologists know a little about it, and some physical medicine (physiatrist) docs know a little. However, it is usually the neurologist who knows, but only if they have a special interest in pain.

I am sorry you have this pain.