Thread: DR Young, bowel blockage surgery botched

DR Young, bowel blockage surgery botched

If a patient is rushed to the hospital ER presenting sever vomitting that is brown and coffee grind llike, stomach pain and hard abdomine extention, given a CT scan and is told he definitely has a sever small bowel obstruction with a hole ,but they dont know where the blockage is so they need to do emgerencey surgery. Is it possible that the surgeron could miss finding the blockage during the operation. This happened to my son, he had emergency surgery, but the surgeon said there was no mechanical blockage and that my son has a NON mechanical blockage. So in the hospital the treatment was to continue NG tube and IV to see if the bowel would fix itself. Meanwhile my son was getting horribly worse. Then 4 days later in hospital, a different doctor looked at the original CT scan and called in another surgeon and he immediately took my son back to the OR and found the blockage and the bottom end of the small bowel.
    My question is, Is it possible for a surgeon to NOT find a blockage when the CT scan and symptoms indicated that it IS there??? The surgeon was looking at the top of his small bowel and it was ultimately found by the other surgeon at the bottom. Is it common for a surgeon to only look at parts of the bowel when it is determined by the CT scan that there is a blockage but they cant tell where it is.

bump..

I really don't know what the correct answer to this is since I am not a surgeon. I would like to think that they would check out the whole bowel, starting with where they saw the issue on the mri, etc. But what is considered standard of care is not my expertise in this area. I will leave it to Dr. Young to answer.

Sorry I can't be of more help!

CKF

I had a small bowel obstruction several years ago. It was in the region of a past bowel surgery, where the took a section out for my bladder augment. Almost all bowel obstructions ocurr in the area of past surgeries due to the present of post surgical adhesions and other micto changes that ocurr to the dynamics of flow.

Mine was visible on CT. Resolved with an NG tube after 3 days. If not, surgery was next. Certainly I would think it would be visible using CT or MRI, may be needing two tries to get it right.

I still think about it and it unnerves me to know it can recurr.

When the first hospital did the CT scan, they could not get enough dye into him to exactly pinpoint where the obstruction was. So when you dont know exactly where it is, I dont understand why the surgeon didnt look everywhere. The second surgeon used the first surgeons cut to look and found nothing too, but wouldnt give up as he knew it had to be there,so he made another cut to look down lower and found the obstruction, Thank goodness. Meanwhile during the 4 days in between the 2 surgeries he went downhill and almost died.
    That is why I came on here to see if this can easily happen, that it would take 2 surgerys to find and obstruction.
    I hope Dr. Young can shed some light on this.