Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New on here...SCI

New on here...SCI

the day that changed my life forever was September 19, 2010, my brothers birthday. It was the worst day of my life, I was in a car accident, the vehicle fishtailed and slide of the road before flipping over pinning me between the roof, the steering wheel, and the seat. 911 was called not long after, the jaws of life (i think thats what they are called) had to cut me out of the vehicle before i was taken into an ambulance and driven into an open field to be life flighted away.

once at the hospital i was x-ray/cat-scanned they found i broke several ribs, my scapula's (shoulders), and my back. since i broke my back it severed my spinal at the T-10 level leaving me paralyzed from the waist down. They told me I would never walk again. I was devastated and in serious pain, i couldn't even sleep soundly with the pain.

My first surgery was about 10 hours long. I was doing ok except the spinal fluid was draining to much so they feared another surgery to fix it, luckily it stopped. the following week i had another surgery that lasted 8 hours where they finished putting hardware and fixing my back

I finally started rehab it was difficult at first and i grew more and more homesick as well as determined to find some way to walk it is all I want now. I was discharged from the hospital November 23, 2010 a little over 2 months later.

I do get feeling in my legs, such as when my legs are stretched, or when my legs involuntarily move, does anyone have any idea how much movement/sensation i can get back?
    "My goal is to walk again someday."

Hi, Rachel, and welcome to CareCure.
    You'll find that this can be a very helpful place. I'm so sorry that you needed to find it, but glad that you did.
    Like any other community, there are all sorts here (you'll soon understand what I mean ).
    You have access to the very best in the sense of experience (others) and professionalism (SCI-nurses and Wise Young).

I wish that there was a way to answer your question about what return you might expect. The experience is that there is no reliable way to tell. If it comes, return may come over months or years. Often the first several months seem to bring a large proportion of what will come back.

In my wife's case (she's T5), she has recovered some feeling here and there below her injury site, starting from zilch. And she seems to have passed from being complete to incomplete somewhere about 3 or 4 years post, as she now has some feeling at the anus.

Each case seems to be different. Plan for little or no change (rehab teaches you how to live with what you have now), but hope for the best - it sometimes does happen. If only it always did.

- Richard

That's great advice from Richard. Welcome to the forum, and best wishes on your rehab, now and long-term.

Hi Rachel. It sounds like you are doing well considering the horrible accident.
    Keep us posted on your progress.

Hi Rachel and welcome.
    Keep the faith if you are incomplete then there is always possibility of improvement, work hard and be positive.

Hi Rachel - Where did your accident occur and what hospital were you in?
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

Hi Rachel welcome to CCC, as Richard says there really is no way of telling what you may or may not get back, the important thing now is to learn to make the most of what you've got.

Any other questions you have, ask them here, you can bet somebody will have the answer.

Hi Rachel,
    like others here, I just want to welcome you to CCC, although I am very sorry about your accident. My understanding is that there is a two year window where you might get back increased feeling and function, but no one can ever know in advance, unfortunately. Keep writing here, as this place offers not only information, but also a ton of understanding.

Hello Rachel,

Welcome, and as others have already stated, sorry life has made it necessary for you to seek out this forum. But, I believe you'll find a wealth of information here that will help in making the adjustments necessary for your new life. Your injury is so very brand new and if I'm not mistaken--you seem to be a younger individual. Both of of which should play in your favor as you work to re-organize your nervous system and gain back as much as possible. Although there is never a "good" time to have a SCI--there are many exciting medical advancements happening in the world of regenerative medicine, some of which that are being pioneered by our very own Dr. Wise Young. Keep your eye on all the lastest research, being open to clinical trials, and work your butt off these next couple of years. Never give up and know we are here to support you. If it's any encouragement, I'm a 42 yr old female, who was in a very similar car accident to your's, fracturing the same bones and ribs--but my spinal cord damage is at the C 5/6 and T1 levels. In a two year period, I have regained the ability to walk unaided, but do fight very difficult and painful spasticity. If you care to chat, please feel free to message me anytime. These SCI's are like snowflakes--so individual. The best of luck to you in all things.
    Last edited by Patty41; 11-28-2010 at 11:58 AM.

Hey Edinburgh... This might be another one!!!!! What do you think?
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!