Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stem cells successfully heal spinal injury patient

Stem cells successfully heal spinal injury patient

26 November 2010

A patient who suffered a spinal injury following an aeroplane crash has successfully recovered lost function through stem cell treatment.

Juan Carlos Murillo Rodriguez suffered a crush fracture of the L1 vertebral body in a propeller aeroplane crash in 2008.

This caused severe nerve pain, as well as a loss of bladder and sexual function. In addition, Mr Rodriguez suffered loss of sensation and movement in his legs.

He was treated over a ten-month period by researchers at the US Stem Cell Institute, where he made a marked recovery....

http://www.seriousinjurylaw.co.uk/ne...ry-patient.php

Quote Originally Posted by KIM View Post
    26 November 2010

A patient who suffered a spinal injury following an aeroplane crash has successfully recovered lost function through stem cell treatment.

Juan Carlos Murillo Rodriguez suffered a crush fracture of the L1 vertebral body in a propeller aeroplane crash in 2008.

This caused severe nerve pain, as well as a loss of bladder and sexual function. In addition, Mr Rodriguez suffered loss of sensation and movement in his legs.

He was treated over a ten-month period by researchers at the US Stem Cell Institute, where he made a marked recovery....

http://www.seriousinjurylaw.co.uk/ne...ry-patient.php
    Can someone give some more info about this US Stem Cell Institute ? Where is this and which kind of treatment is this?

I would like to know more about this myself.
    keep your head up!

Business

Stem Cell Institute (Cellmedicine) Successfully Treats Spinal Cord Injury Patient With Adult Stem Cells Peer-Reviewed Joint Publication Between Stem Cell Clinic and American Researchers

© Marketwire 2010
    25.11.2010 20:01:51

(live-PR.com) - PANAMA CITY -- (Marketwire) -- 11/25/10 -- The Stem Cell Institute ( www.cellmedicine.com : ) reported today recovery of a spinal cord injury patient that was treated with a unique combination stem cell treatment. The patient suffered a crush fracture of the L1 vertebral body on May 13th, 2008 after a single propeller engine airplane crash. As a result of the spinal cord injury, the patient had severe neuropathic pain, loss of sexual and bladder function, as well as loss of movement and sensation in the legs.

He was treated on Oct 31-Nov 20, 2008, Jan 21-30, 2009, and July 1-10, 2009 with an adult stem cell protocol. The patient underwent a progressive recovery of sensation, mobility, and sexual and bladder function subsequent to each cycle of stem cell administration. Currently the patient is capable of walking and neuropathic pain diminished substantially.

"The doctors at the Stem Cell Institute have changed my life. After the accident there was no hope. Now I have a new lease on life," said Juan Carlos Murillo Rodriguez, the patient who was treated. "I have recently passed my physical and am flying again as a commercial pilot."

Details of the scientific rationale for the treatment, as well as protocols and outcomes may be found in the peer-reviewed paper "Feasibility of combination allogeneic stem cell therapy for spinal cord injury: a case report" which was published in the International Archives of Medicine and is available online at www.intarchmed.com/content/pdf/1755-7682-3-30.pd .. : .

"It is my honor that such a team of internationally recognized opinion leaders in the area of stem cells such as Doctors Amit Patel, Michael Murphy and Thomas Ichim have co-authored this publication," said Dr. Jorge Paz Rodriguez, Medical Director of the Stem Cell Institute and co-author of the publication. "By combining our clinical experience with cutting-edge advances in molecular and cellular biology, we believe we have put forth a very innovative protocol that we anticipate will be attempted by other groups."

About Stem Cell Institute

Stem Cell Institute is one of the leading adult stem cell research and treatment centers in the world. Using our pioneering treatment methods and utilizing partnerships with universities and physicians across the world, Stem Cell Institute has already treated over 800 patients with stem cell therapy and the company continues to expand. Stem Cell Institute is located in Panama City, Panama.

Add to Digg : Bookmark with del.icio.us : Add to Newsvine :

Contact Info

Dr. Jorge Paz Rodriguez
    800 980 STEM (7836)
    Email Contact :
    www.cellmedicine.com :

Disclaimer: (c) 2010 Market Wire. All of the press releases contained herein are protected by copyright and other applicable laws, treaties and conventions. Information contained in the releases is furnished by Market Wire's, who warrant that they are solely responsible for the content, accuracy and originality of the information contained therein. All reproduction, other than for an individual user's personal reference, is prohibited without prior written permission.

Terms Of Use Privacy About Live-PR.com Contact Us

I gotta read this later carefully.
    If it is as it says....amazing!

Treatment and subsequent recovery of only one person is not concrete evidence this works. One person treated is not a clinical trail. This is how many other "clinics" worldwide have stayed open by claiming recovery of "a" patient.

I hope there is some validity to this, but if there is not and you get this treatment, then get no recovery, you not be eligible for treatments that will be valid in the future.

BTW, this is not done in the U.S., and the information on their website indicates 1 in 13 chronic patients experienced some improvement in sensory and motor function. Not what I would consider a miracle cure.
    Last edited by Schmeky; 11-26-2010 at 11:05 AM.

Schmecky, if this was a post of Geron or Wise, we could get excited. I agree, no concrete evicence and comes ouit of nowhere. Let's get the trials and results of those trials that we all are waiting for.

keeping on

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky View Post
    I hope there is some validity to this, but if there is not and you get this treatment, then get no recovery, you not be eligible for treatments that will be valid in the future.
    If you don't mind me asking Schmeky, I've heard this statement a lot and I'm just curious.

Why would someone who undergoes a treatment like this not be eligible for a cure in the future ?

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    If you don't mind me asking Schmeky, I've heard this statement a lot and I'm just curious.

Why would someone who undergoes a treatment like this not be eligible for a cure in the future ?
    you'd be eligible for the treatment you just wouldn't be eligible for the trial, which most of us wont be eligible for the trial anyway. the odds of being chosen for a trial cant be that high, and imagine if the trial fails and another one comes you wont be eligible for that one either, so I feel the worrying about eligibility is pointless. most likely you'll be on the outside of the trial waiting for results and fda approval like the majority of us...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S View Post
    you'd be eligible for the treatment you just wouldn't be eligible for the trial, which most of us wont be eligible for the trial anyway. the odds of being chosen for a trial cant be that high, and imagine if the trial fails and another one comes you wont be eligible for that one either, so I feel the worrying about eligibility is pointless. most likely you'll be on the outside of the trial waiting for results and fda approval like the majority of us...
    That's what I was thinking too. It's just Schmeky was stating it as fact and I wanted to know if there's any proof to that.