Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! BP Stopped Working!

Help! BP Stopped Working!

I had some kidney stones lasered a couple months ago. I took pain pills the first day, so of course I was constipated a couple days later when it was time for BP. Then I was still constipated the next time (I go every three days, or try to wait that long between). We figured maybe the anesthesia had some residual effects, but, two and a half months later things have not improved at all.

Before, I was going fine with one Dulcolax, and seldomly another half of one to get everything, and I’d be done in an hour, 90 minutes tops. Now it takes a minimum of two suppositories, sometimes three, and between two and three hours, and I still don’t really empty all the way. There’ve been times I barely go at all, then in the middle of the night my bowels finally start moving and I’ll have enough results to last me a couple days. Or after a couple hours with very little results, we’ll go ahead and do my shower and get ready for bed and then I’ll finally go.

The stool consistency is usually harder and more packed, but even when it’s not (I’ve recently tried colace, but I know that’s not supposed to be a long-term solution), it just sits right there, soft, feels like it’s gonna come out any time, but just won’t no matter how much digital stimulation.
    Since my diet hasn’t changed except that I’ve increased my already high fiber intake--lots of fruits/veggies, flax seed every day, whole grain cereals/breads-- and tons of water, I kinda think the more packed stool is just due to more volume buildup since I’m not emptying like I used to. But like I said, it’s not just a consistency problem. My bowels just refuse to move.

Oh, I also do the trick of eating a little and drinking hot liquid beforehand, nothing works. Gah, this is such a disgusting topic, but this has been a nightmare that I really want to end. My mom says we might just need to keep Fleet’s enemas on hand for the really bad days, but I know those aren’t supposed to be used regularly either. Even the one time I did one shortly after surgery took a lot longer than the only other time I did one a couple years ago, and I thought it wasn’t going to work at all, but it finally did.

What’s going on? How could kidney stone surgery have this long-term effect? And is there any hope other than resorting to a colostomy?

Blog Entries
    I take a generic colace every day to keep stools soft, and have done so for 10 years or so. A handful of almonds every day or so also seems to help keep me regular, and is good for lowing your cholesterol. Instead of a Fleet, try the same size warm water enema about 10 minutes after the suppository.

Don
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

i drink miralax in a glass of milk for a couple of nights when i stop going. i go every other day and sometimes if i don't go for 4 or 5 days i'll do the miralax treatment. i also take 2 generic colace from walmart twice a day, "EVERYDAY". i don't think taking colace regularly will hurt the colon.

if i am having bowel issues i blast it with some mag citrate. that resets everything so i ccan get back to my regular schedule
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    A handful of almonds every day or so also seems to help keep me regular, and is good for lowing your cholesterol. Don
    Almonds are great. I have C4 spatula hands, so I get my worker to cut a slit in a dried apricot. Insert almonds and you've got my latest quad snack.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    I get my worker to cut a slit in a dried apricot. Insert almonds and you've got my latest quad snack.
    this is a very good idea and I'll bet it tastes damn good too!

With regards to keeping things moving I have found that behaving as though I have diverticulitis and eating accordingly has helped me. Also, I think you have to be careful with fibre, it is possible to eat too much.

Quote Originally Posted by They Might Be SCI Giants View Post
    What’s going on? How could kidney stone surgery have this long-term effect? And is there any hope other than resorting to a colostomy?
    How much digital stimulation are you using? A suppository does not relax the sphincter, it only brings stool down into the rectum.

Are you eating at least 30 gm. of dietary fiber daily? Drinking at least 2.5-3 liters of water daily?

Have you tried Magic Bullet Suppositories? Enemeez?

There is no reason you cannot take 1000 mg. of DSS (Colace) daily on a long term basis.

(KLD)

Thanks, everyone. The mag citrate sounds like just what I need.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    How much digital stimulation are you using? A suppository does not relax the sphincter, it only brings stool down into the rectum.

Are you eating at least 30 gm. of dietary fiber daily? Drinking at least 2.5-3 liters of water daily?

Have you tried Magic Bullet Suppositories? Enemeez?

There is no reason you cannot take 1000 mg. of DSS (Colace) daily on a long term basis.

(KLD)
    I do a lot of dig stim, and it's painful when I'm really backed up.

Yes to both fiber and water.

Since Magic Bullet and Dulcolax are both 10 mg Bisacodyl, I thought it was just like taking different brands of acetaminophen, but I see now the shells have a different base, so I'll try those. I've never heard of Enemeez; I'll try those if the mag citrate doesn't straighten me out.

The colace, I guess I was just remembering someone giving me advice back when I was injured to try and come off it so it would be one less thing to rely on, and then I did fine without it for so long.

Thanks, again. I guess I've been 'lucky' with cooperative bowels till now. I have enough pain/ailments weighing me down to add this to the list.
    Last edited by They Might Be SCI Giants; 11-25-2010 at 01:34 AM.

u shouldnt eat too much soluble fibre.. makes ur poo more sticky/formed
    c5/c6 brown sequard asia d

Quote Originally Posted by brocko View Post
    this is a very good idea and I'll bet it tastes damn good too!

With regards to keeping things moving I have found that behaving as though I have diverticulitis and eating accordingly has helped me. Also, I think you have to be careful with fibre, it is possible to eat too much.
    I think I may be overdoing it. I can barely make it one day. By bedtime the 'departure lounge' is full to capacity.