Thread: Best place to start looking into stem cell surgery?

Best place to start looking into stem cell surgery?

So I have really been thinking about getting stem cell surgery. The thing is I know nothing about this. Anyone have any pointers or feedback? Anyone have this done that has some recomendations?

oh, i'm an incomplete c5/6.
    I CAN MAKE YOU BLUEPRINTS OF ANYTHING YOU WANT.

PM ME

www.4th-gen-civic.com- EF Civic + CRX Resource + Forum

I wouldn't invest a lot of time and energy into your search if I were you. For starters, rest assured that if anyone on this site found any procedure/surgery that showed "significant" results/improvements, it would be all over this site. We'd all be robbing banks if we had to in order to pay for such miraculous procedure ... but there hasn't been any breakthrough like that reported.

You hear, from time to time, about stem cell therapy going on in 2nd/3rd world countries that are under no one's supervision or certification. They simply take people for a ride and leave them with minimal or zero improvement after bilking them for thousands of dollars and tons of hope.

Our best bet right now rests with the human trials of stem cell therapy that started just last month by Geron Corp. testing them on SCI individuals and just this week Advanced Cell Technology testing them on those with Stargardt’s macular dystrophy (eye condition). Unfortunately, these trials take a long time and even if they all went good and showed promising results, it will be a few years before they can become commercially available. The road for these trials is full of detours and any of these detours can practically end any hope. The end results need to show significant improvement before the drug companies decide to move forward with the additional expense that they would incur.

Since we're extremely emotionally fragile, we need to be careful about tempering our expectations. We are all hoping for the best results out of these trials (as well as several other pieces of work that are in the pipeline) but in the meantime, we cannot be tempted by news of stem cell therapy/surgery going on in other parts of the world that might make your situation worse than it already is as well as leaving a major hole in your wallet.

Don't lose hope ... just be practical. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by felieh View Post
    I wouldn't invest a lot of time and energy into your search if I were you. For starters, rest assured that if anyone on this site found any procedure/surgery that showed "significant" results/improvements, it would be all over this site. We'd all be robbing banks if we had to in order to pay for such miraculous procedure ... but there hasn't been any breakthrough like that reported.

You hear, from time to time, about stem cell therapy going on in 2nd/3rd world countries that are under no one's supervision or certification. They simply take people for a ride and leave them with minimal or zero improvement after bilking them for thousands of dollars and tons of hope.

Our best bet right now rests with the human trials of stem cell therapy that started just last month by Geron Corp. testing them on SCI individuals and just this week Advanced Cell Technology testing them on those with Stargardt’s macular dystrophy (eye condition). Unfortunately, these trials take a long time and even if they all went good and showed promising results, it will be a few years before they can become commercially available. The road for these trials is full of detours and any of these detours can practically end any hope. The end results need to show significant improvement before the drug companies decide to move forward with the additional expense that they would incur.

Since we're extremely emotionally fragile, we need to be careful about tempering our expectations. We are all hoping for the best results out of these trials (as well as several other pieces of work that are in the pipeline) but in the meantime, we cannot be tempted by news of stem cell therapy/surgery going on in other parts of the world that might make your situation worse than it already is as well as leaving a major hole in your wallet.

Don't lose hope ... just be practical. Good luck.
    I had stem cell at the icm clinic in san jose costa rica. I'm a c6 incomplete injury and i was 6 months post injury when i had it done. It was adult stem cell and i could walk on a walker about 15 feet and i was not independent at all. now i'm 2 years post injury and i can walk about 700 feet on hand crutches and i am very independent. i'm going to get embryonic stem cell next march at medra in mexico. embryonic stem cell is stronger.
    keep your head up!

Quote Originally Posted by goredeisel View Post
    I had stem cell at the icm clinic in san jose costa rica. I'm a c6 incomplete injury and i was 6 months post injury when i had it done. It was adult stem cell and i could walk on a walker about 15 feet and i was not independent at all. now i'm 2 years post injury and i can walk about 700 feet on hand crutches and i am very independent. i'm going to get embryonic stem cell next march at medra in mexico. embryonic stem cell is stronger.
    Most incompletes recover walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    In general, most people who have incomplete spinal cord injury and cannot walk shortly after injury will recover ability to walk within one year after injury.

Wise.
    You would've recovered just as much function without the
    treatment. It seemed like the stem cells helped because
    you received the treatment before you were done recovering
    naturally.

I definitely wouldn't waste any more money on stem cell
    "treatments" overseas

4 years back after I was out of surgery and such Stem cell treatments fascinated me , Then again I am very much into science and phillosophy , experiments and such .

Ok I am a incomplete quad for many years and I do not walk , I rely on my old crutches or a walker for those special days . That is how I walk .
    When my back is bothering me I'll resort Generally to my wheelchairs .

Because every injury affects individuals differently I know that progress or walking Varies .
    Also I've met 2 sci patients who had stem cell treatments in other countries and I've noticed not much in their progress ...

I like the fetal cell concept more and someday I would opt for that route .

Sincerely ;
    GL

Quote Originally Posted by GL View Post
    4 years back after I was out of surgery and such Stem cell treatments fascinated me , Then again I am very much into science and phillosophy , experiments and such .

Ok I am a incomplete quad for many years and I do not walk , I rely on my old crutches or a walker for those special days . That is how I walk .
    When my back is bothering me I'll resort Generally to my wheelchairs .

Because every injury affects individuals differently I know that progress or walking Varies .
    Also I've met 2 sci patients who had stem cell treatments in other countries and I've noticed not much in their progress ...

I like the fetal cell concept more and someday I would opt for that route .

Sincerely ;
    GL
    What treatment did the 2 sci have embyonic or adult and were they incomplete or complete.
    keep your head up!

Quote Originally Posted by goredeisel View Post
    I had stem cell at the icm clinic in san jose costa rica.
    I wouldn't plan on going back:

Stem Cell Tourists Denied: Costa Rica Stops Treatments at Top Clinic

Last month, Costa Rica’s health ministry halted treatments at the country’s largest stem cell clinic, arguing that the treatments are unproven and possibly unsafe.

Though the Obama administration has expanded federal funding of stem cell research and there are ongoing clinical trials, there are currently no FDA-approved stem cell treatments. So some Americans, suffering from conditions ranging from cancer to spinal injuries, have looked elsewhere for experimental stem cell-based remedies, and clinics in countries such as Costa Rica, China, India, and Mexico have grown into stem cell tourist destinations.

Costa Rica’s largest clinic, the Institute of Cellular Medicine in San Jose, was operated by American entrepreneur Neil Riordan; it attracted about 400 patients for these treatments. The clinic used adult stem cells, which Costa Rica’s government had allowed the clinic to take from patients’ fat and bone marrow. The government had not authorized the clinic to use these cells for treatment.

“If (stem cell treatment’s) efficiency and safety has not been proven, we don’t believe it should be used,” said Dr. Ileana Herrera, chief of the ministry’s research council. “As a health ministry, we must always protect the human being.” [Reuters]

(entire article)

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80...at-top-clinic/

yeah, but i don't give a shit. i wanna do this. it's a chance worth taking. i'm not gunna sit here and eventually end up on dialisis one day and not be able to say i did everything i could.
    I CAN MAKE YOU BLUEPRINTS OF ANYTHING YOU WANT.

PM ME

www.4th-gen-civic.com- EF Civic + CRX Resource + Forum