Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TiLite Aero Z review (4 weeks after delivery)

TiLite Aero Z review (4 weeks after delivery)

Specs are here.

General
    construction and finish:
    • Very well built and assembled, arrived in pristine condition.
    • The back upholstery (Velcro Adjustable) is slightly unfriendly – practice is required to adjust it.
    • Fasteners: the chair came with both black and zinc-plated fasteners, which are not sufficiently corrosion resistant for my four-season environment (from prior experience with a walker). The vast majority of the fasteners are industry standard; a few are not. I swapped out the industry standard low-stress fasteners (e.g., seat pan, fork&caster, footrest) with 18-8 stainless steel, and the high-stress fasteners (i.e., axle mount, backrest hinge, anti-tipper plate) with chromed alloy steel (grade 8). The cost was about US$225 through Fastenal and Westlake Ace Hardware local stores (chromed fasteners are pricey).

Adjustability: Superb!! Not super friendly, but if it were, the chair would be less secure. Caster-angle & toe positioning are difficult because tightening the fasteners changes the the angles, so you must learn to anticipate how much change will occur while tightening. After I get the chair dialed in, this frustration will disappear. The adjustments hold position very well after they’re set.
    Weight: just as expected/published (I have many added accessories)
    Rear wheels (Spinergy wire) squeak just a bit (you told me so). They spin very, very easily. Locks are necessary; I cannot even open a ball-bearing drawer without moving the chair (on a hard surface).
    Solid 1-3/8” tires: They slide way too easily on dry pavement and other hard surfaces. I plan to replace them with Schwalbe Marathon Plus Evolution Reflex for a better grip (hopefully).
    6” TiLite soft rolls casters: love them, but would like to try Frog Legs Epic Aluminum some day. They roll over things so well, and I like the 'beefy' look.
    Solid aluminum seat pan: love it. I have captured some accessory straps (i.e., catchall, seat pouch) beneath it to hold them securely. The solid pan also allows for tray storage (see “Feature Awards” below).
    Natural Fit handrims with Super Grip: really love them, but the super grip isn't as grippy as I'd like (at least in fall & winter). I plan to try pitcher's rosin to increase grip.
    Rear-wheel & fork bearings: superb.
    Caster bearings: don't free spin very long (6-7 secs). Plan to replace them someday soon.
    Fold-down, aluminum side guards: Glad I got them to protect my clothes because of my narrow seat width and close wheel spacing, but I wish they were a little taller – they don't quite reach the top of the 24” tire (RSH=14.0”). Also I shimmed their folding brackets (0.015”) so the tops tip a bit inward; without shimming they were rubbing the tire sidewalls ever so slightly when I was seated.
    Flip-back, titanium footrest: love it. It's very helpful for standing up and sitting down. Not having it would be unsafe for me.
    User Friendly Anti-Tips: love them. I moved the plates outboard on the webbed axle mounts to make more room for the pusher's feet.
    Lock-down, adjustable-height backrest: love it. I have adjusted the height and angle every week to find what I like best. The ability to adjust this has been marvelous because this is my first chair. The lock-down assembly works but feels flimsy.
    Adjustable rear-seat height: Very easy to adjust. My demo wouldn't go as low as I liked, and it had a fabric sling, so I guessed at the specified height. I've lowered it an inch more than I specified; glad it's adjustable. BTW, TiLite measures rear-seat height at the very aft of the seat-frame tubing, not at the intersection of the seat-frame tubing and front of the backrest-frame tubing, from where they measure seat depth.
    80-degree frame: would like it tighter, but tighter is not available with 6” casters, which I like.
    D's Locks: Not yet fully installed. The wrong parts were shipped; still eagerly awaiting arrival of correct parts. I've installed aluminum scissor locks in the interim. They work well, but are a pain to use.

Feature Awards:

• Most Surprising: fabulous rear-wheel bearings make the chair far easier to roll than my well-used demo chair (another user's back-up chair).
    • Most Used: flip-back footrest is very handy, friendly, and well engineered.
    • Most Unexpected: user-friendly anti-tips are, well . . ., user friendly (when standing behind the chair).
    • Most Unplanned: a standard 14x18-inch cafeteria tray stows very nicely beneath the solid seat pan.

Modifications:

• Changed fasteners for corrosion resistance.
    • Added shims to side-guard mounts to tip them slightly inward so they don't rub on my closely spaced, cambered tires.
    • Added bicycle head and tail lights.
    • Moved anti-tippers outboard.
    • Removed arm rests.
    • Mounted D's Lock lever on backrest's crossbar so it's readily available to both the user and the pusher (normally me pushing my empty chair). (The correct part for final mounting has not arrived yet.)

Adjustments:

• Lowered rear-seat height, adjusted fork angle and rear-wheel toe-in.
    • Moved back angle and back height (still trying different positions).
    • Raised footrest.

Things I wish I had ordered:

• Bolt-on push handles instead of integral push handles because they would remain at a fixed height when I adjust the backrest.
    • Large backpack (I ordered none).
    • Small seat pouch (I ordered large, which is too big).

This is a near-perfect chair. Thank you all so much for helping me learn so much before I ordered it
    Last edited by chasmengr; 11-24-2010 at 03:28 PM. Reason: typo
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Any pictures??

Quote Originally Posted by warchi81 View Post
    Any pictures??
    pics as delivered are here.

I'll wait until D's are installed before taking & posting more pics of it as modified.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Thanks for posting all the info.

How long from the time the chair was order until you took delivery?

Did you order it from an online reseller or a DME?
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Quote Originally Posted by My395 View Post
    Thanks for posting all the info.

How long from the time the chair was order until you took delivery?

Did you order it from an online reseller or a DME?
    link to answers.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Glad to see that you are generally happy with your chair. A nicely spec-ed out chair is such a joy to ride. I hope I can say the same thing about mine when it arrives.
    C5-C6 ASIA C - October 15, 1984
    Tilite ZRA Series 2
    The DIGITAL AWAKENING
    Living One Day At A Time
    www.petertan.com/blog/

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    6” TiLite soft rolls casters: love them, but would like to try Frog Legs Epic Aluminum some day. They roll over things so well, and I like the 'beefy' look.
    assembly works but feels flimsy.
    I just have done and order of a ZR with that casters too, good to see you like them.
    Last edited by totoL1; 11-24-2010 at 05:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    Seat Pouch:[Large - Black Nylon] [+$32.85]

[Catch-All] [+$32.85]
    Not that you asked, but I found the large seat pouch to be way too wide to fit under the front of my 17"-wide seat; it totally blocked front access to the catchall. I have asked to trade it for the small pouch, which I hope will fit better.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Thanks Chas, this type of feedback is very helpful. I am still waiting for my loaner. I can borrow it for a week.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    Not that you asked, but I found the large seat pouch to be way too wide to fit under the front of my 17"-wide seat; it totally blocked front access to the catchall. I have asked to trade it for the small pouch, which I hope will fit better.
    Yea, but she want everything: large & little seat pouch and catchall, and look for what would work better for her.

Maybe after only use the catchall, or the small seat pouch ...