Thread: for those whose kids were young

for those whose kids were young

i am not really sure how to ask this question so please undrstand the ramblings. i have 3 1/2 year old twins who have always just known mommy uses a wheelchair. they are now in a full time preschool program and the afternoon has mixed ages. i do all the afternoon pickups. the more verbal kids have started questioning why i am in a chair. i try to give simplistic honest answers. my boys are frequently around when i get asked these questions and i find it hard to answer if they are listening. it has never occured to my boys that i am different because i am just their mommy. but now they see their friends asking me questions and i see the confusion on their faces. from the start i have been honest so they know my body doesn't work like theirs so i use a catheter to pee and need to poop on the bed not on a toilet. i use a power chair so their friends think i am the coolest as my boys get to ride either on my lap or standing on the back. i know this is just the begining so wondering how the rest of you have handled these situations. thanks!

When they were smaller other children asked why I was in a chair and they were satisfied when I said I couldn't walk. It may sound stupid but I use to say some people can sing, others can't, some people can cook, other can't, some people can walk, other can't. Now when my youngest is 14 years old, most of the children has learn it is not polite to ask and only those I know well are asking and then I answer the best I can.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by sabmother View Post
    i am not really sure how to ask this question so please undrstand the ramblings. i have 3 1/2 year old twins who have always just known mommy uses a wheelchair. they are now in a full time preschool program and the afternoon has mixed ages. i do all the afternoon pickups. the more verbal kids have started questioning why i am in a chair. i try to give simplistic honest answers. my boys are frequently around when i get asked these questions and i find it hard to answer if they are listening. it has never occured to my boys that i am different because i am just their mommy. but now they see their friends asking me questions and i see the confusion on their faces. from the start i have been honest so they know my body doesn't work like theirs so i use a catheter to pee and need to poop on the bed not on a toilet. i use a power chair so their friends think i am the coolest as my boys get to ride either on my lap or standing on the back. i know this is just the begining so wondering how the rest of you have handled these situations. thanks!
    my son is now 18. he was born 6 yrs post my injury. kids in daycare, preschool, grade school were fun. when they asked, i just said car accident, wear your seat belt (i was wearing mine, but...). they'd usually solemnly say they do, then go on being interested in my chr. my son was quite pleased with the attention until 7th grade!

my advice: participate now. do field trips, visit classroom, preschool. the kids will remember. once your kids hit 7th, oh boy :O like any other parent, they don't want you seen. it hurts. so enjoy this time!